• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Float plate vs. skid plate

Question on the roest plate,

the bolts that came with the other little bar werent long enough I didnt think (but havent had a look at it since). That bar is supposed to sit on the frame rails and then the bolts go up threw the plate and pull it together right, sandwiching the frame rails? Like I said I haven't looked at it again, as I'm not near my sled, but they seemed half an inch short?

Thank you sir, for some reason the ones that came in my kit are M6x35..? I'll grab 50's here in town though. no worries.

ruffryder said:
Roest said:
Big mistake. It does exactly the opposite on all counts.
We shall see. I got some other mods to the front nose / skid plate that I am hoping will alleviate the situation.

All I know is that a stock type skid plate is unacceptable for me. I have had to stop and kick the snow out countless times so that I can actually turn..

Trim 1" off each side and drill a few more 5/16" holes in the bottom of the plate and you wont have an issue. I have run this way for 2 seasons and works good.

My Yamaha aftermarket plate Worked great, after I wrapped a ratchet strap around it between the subframe rails Looked funnier then hell but it worked until i bought the Roest.

I tried drilling holes In(lots of
Holes) but it didn't help. Put muffler clamps around frnt tubes better but starts to tear right threw.

It really depends on your location. Heated shed at
Night all good. Leave it on the sleddeck after riding Saturday and Sunday in northern bc and then put it in the non heated shed on Tuesday(because Monday you were to sore) and then go out sat and Sunday again.
Sled looks like its pregnant and giving birth to a huge Ice baby.

I have had them both on my xtx.Skins plate floats better in the powder,but packs up as everyone knows.Roest plate offers better protection,but dosent float as good.I.M.O. depends on what type of riding your doin.

With the roest plate i still snow/ice build up in the center area between the A-Arms and it will actually push snow into the engine compartment and build ice. The Ice get so bad that it actually bent the bar hold the plate up. I attempted to drill a large hole in skid plate at the center of the opening but that does not work either. I want the new shorty skid plate he is working on.

akvector said:
With the roest plate i still snow/ice build up in the center area between the A-Arms and it will actually push snow into the engine compartment and build ice. The Ice get so bad that it actually bent the bar hold the plate up. I attempted to drill a large hole in skid plate at the center of the opening but that does not work either. I want the new shorty skid plate he is working on.

You're the first to come back with this sort of feedback. Conditions do play a role. I believe it's still the best solution out there as far as chassis and engine protection, and fit and finish. That being said, the shorty version is getting closer. The holidays aren't helping. It replaces the stock "engine protector" (what a joke!) to a T. I'll be offering both and still feel that the longer one is the best choice.

Attachments

• 100_3896.JPG
    100_3896.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 89
This has came up before Peter and I have never had any build up what so ever but mine is in a heated garage every night. Im not saying it cant happen akvector as your temps get really cold up there and stay cold for long periods but I dont see it happening to mine not even a little bit.

My Roest plate bent from all the ice build up too. Still way better then any other but is starting to bend right at the aarms.
This isn't new I posted about this last year. Maybe I'll take some pics this weekend.
Still highly recommend the Roest it's the best on the market

I just picked up the yamaha after market plate, just wondering if anyone has any actual photos of the ice build up? I want to address the issue before I have issues, everything will work good with a little modify'n.

This is the best picture i have right now. None the less his skid plate is the best but I just want short one. Before skid never had snow build up. If you look in the middle that center section is full of snow and then if you look where the back of the arms mount there are holes that enter directly to the engine compartment and of course with heat the snow melts and freezes and pushes out where ever it can find a spot.

Attachments

• Nytro snow build up.jpg
    Nytro snow build up.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 85
Just installed the Large Float Plate today, out playing in the powder and I love it. It does collect lots of snow but it also floats much higher than the smaller versions.

Back