• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Floats and Float 2s

booxr800

Pro
Can anyone give me some info on the difference between the two. And what kind of pressures you can run in them. Thanks Boo

Im not sure the diff, but they both max out at 150psi. I usually run 65-75 in my Float2 on the MTX and 75-80 in my Float on the RTX.

The big difference is the negative spring. This is a coil spring that sits inside the shocks body and pulls against the air chamber. It gives a better ride during the initial stages of travel by helping to overcome the stiction of all the seals. It also allows more pressure to be run in the air chamber (supposedly larger) which reduces roll and increases bottoming resistance. Valving is also adjusted, and I'll speculate it can be a little more aggressive since some of the stiction is eliminated by the negative spring. I find it funny that steel coil springs (although small and fairly light) are used to make an air shock ride and handle better... more like a coil spring shock. :tg:

The good news. Many OEM Floats are mostly Float 2. The 2006 RTX Floats I rebuilt had a negative spring. The 2004(?) Float X Arctic Cat shocks I have use a negative spring. Nytro RTX SE sleds have em... safe bet that if your Yami came with them from the factory, they are almost Float 2... let's call them Float 1.75s.

Fox will rebuild your standard Floats into 2s for about $300. New internal pieces provide space for slightly more air volume. This additional volume softens the initial stroke to better handle the smaller impacts. It really does make a difference when the trails are choppy.

Brian, I thought the Float2's werent released untill 2010 model sleds? Maybe the negative spring was some revision in 05-06? My 08 Floats are labeled "FLOAT" and my 10 Floats are labeled "FLOAT2", just saying.

tapex_07, You are correct, the whole Float 2 package was not offerered until 2010.... But starting with some oem shocks around 05, some improvements were made which are now part of the Float 2 package. I should have mentioned that the original Floats offered to the aftermarket (2003 - ?) did not have the negative spring.

Here is a list of the changes from aftermarket Float to Float 2... and some info I've gathered over the years that shows some OEM shocks had some, but not all of the Float 2 parts. It is FAR from complete.

1. Max air volume bearing - Float 2 - sounds like some material is removed from bearing/seal head.

2.Negative spring - Float 2 and some OEM Floats starting in 05

3.High flow piston - Float 2 and some OEM Floats starting in 05 (not the RTX shocks I have)

4.Custom valving - Float 2 and (?) possibly required with negative spring to take full advantage of it. High flow pistons and larger air chambers may also change the requirements.

Mike Carver from Carver Performance will also do this, and do it well he will.

Then you can also get extra volume canisters to truly give the extra air volume of the Float 2's

Carver revalved my Floats (off an '08 or '09 'Poo RMK) on my Mt Viper to Float 2 specs., with a mind for special off trail tailoring, and he also added his extra volume canisters. He said they had the negative spring, but I'm not sure if they already had it or if he added that feature. They truly are Float 2's now though he said.

No problem. :Rockon:

Also, part of my point is to know what your shocks already have, no need to pay for the whole upgrade (unless it only comes as a package) if your shock have some of it.

I have a 2009 RTX. Do you think my shox are 80% float 2's? In other words do you think it is worth the $300.00 for converting 09 Floats to Float 2's?

I seen an fox advertisment the other day they sell a kit for $350.00 to turn floats or the 2's into evol's.

Back