• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox Float Shocks

faithfullyamaha

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
09 phazer rtx
Just curious on something I noticed while riding yesterday.
I was in the powder and noticed the front end pushing an odd amount of snow.
my first thought was I need some skis that will float better but then when I got back on the trail I noticed that the front end seemed kind of saggy. so I lifted up on the bumper and it came up idk like 3-4 inches.
so these shocks have some play in them both ways up and down. they aren't bouncy like shot seals or anything and they ride alright on the trails. so idk if that's the way these are set up or if they need a recharge or a rebuild or what. but as it sits the A arms are close to level with the ground (its an 09 Phazer RTX). I couldn't find a thread on tuning or setup so I guess if anyone has any knowledge on these shocks or knows of somewhere I can learn a thing or two about them that would be great.

Did this happen all of a sudden or is it something you just noticed? I don't think there is a problem, if you are not bottoming out, I say add some air if you want to but that sounds close to how mine is set up.

I found the phazer to push a lot of snow until I got mtx skis and a skid plate.

I just have noticed it I've been watching it since I got the machine and it seems when its colder out it sits lower, I assume because of the decrease in air volume.
I did hit a low spot on the trail early season and it bucked back up pretty hard on the other side of the wash out sent me and the sled sailing. but no damage taken luckily. but I thought that might have been hard on the shocks so i've just been watching things.

What is your pressure at currently? If a-arms are level im going to say, and remember to take all the weight off the shocks to adjust/check, your probably too low on Pressure 40PSI ish. With my old Float 3's, from the shop +18 to outside -20ish, they would only change 2-3PSI. Not enought to drop the front to level a-arms. Do you have the pump to adjust air?

Mine sits fairly level, 2010 RTX, I think I'm around 40-50 psi. Not saying I'm set up right either. Lol.
c6798add7cae751c5176ffb590801d83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it does look about the same i will have to buy a pump though that way i can at least check them

Hey here's an update... My Floats had almost no air in them 5psi on one side and 10 on the other. Having them looked at by ATV PRO #11 as I type this.

Odd that they are both really low at the same time. Add pressure and put the shocks under water to find out if there is a leak.
Ya, my bad I've neglected the sled a bit lately, greased up everything but never checked the suspension at all. Thanks for the tip. :)

Thanks to @yamahas the water trick I didn't even think of. I was watching with gauge but to hard to determine what you loose when you pull gauge off.
I pumped and settled sled. Hour later it was lower by 2" but stayed there. Completely level aarms. I set the jack at the height I settled the sled at after airing up. Moved aside and used that as a gauge for drop.
Took shocks off, aired up and put in the sink. Immediately noticed air coming out of seal. Took a couple vids. Used an old toothbrush to swipe bubble away and triple checked. Interesting both shocks were leaking.
I'd to point out, this was all brought to light as the handling of Jamie's sled went south big time. He asked me to take her for a rip and there was def an issue. Sled handled like it had a broken front pivot arm and skid was allllll over the place.

Glad it worked!

Can you tell what seal it is? My evols were leaking and I was able to fix it with a regular oring. You could probably fix it yourself depending where it is.

Thanks to @yamahas the water trick I didn't even think of. I was watching with gauge but to hard to determine what you loose when you pull gauge off.
I pumped and settled sled. Hour later it was lower by 2" but stayed there. Completely level aarms. I set the jack at the height I settled the sled at after airing up. Moved aside and used that as a gauge for drop.
Took shocks off, aired up and put in the sink. Immediately noticed air coming out of seal. Took a couple vids. Used an old toothbrush to swipe bubble away and triple checked. Interesting both shocks were leaking.
I'd to point out, this was all brought to light as the handling of Jamie's sled went south big time. He asked me to take her for a rip and there was def an issue. Sled handled like it had a broken front pivot arm and skid was allllll over the place.

For over 200km the RTX was like riding on marbles...it was so loose I had a hard time to reacting to it.

Back