• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FPP Trail Turbo Apex build-up with MoTeC and other tricks

Really nice work! The attention to detail is impressive, as is the determination to chase down all the gremlins. I can't think of a good tuner off the top of my head that doesn't share that quality.

Any opportunity to try it at elevation?

Thanks.
No not yet, but it was purpose built to be a trail missile from 900' to 1600' around home and then trail riding trips of 1700' to 2300' in the Adirondacks.
The MoTeC has been spot on during elevation changes.

It's not even trying hard to make 12-14 lbs boost so there is plenty left in the 2860 to crank at higher elevations, and the fuel system is good for over 600HP so fuel delivery is of no concern for sea level.

Well done. I imagine that your throttle response, performance consistency, and overall riding experience are more than enough reward for the time and $ invested!

Great read Mauri!! Awesome pictures. I had that issue with my FPR as well and Martin caught it. Mine was stuck open though. The difference in throttle response is so different than a piggyback. I still run the stock fuel pump in mine coming out the impulse fuel tank feeding a surge tank and have a msd HP pump pulling from that to feed the engine. I also did the fuel pump relay idea. I just used the output feed wire from stock relay to trigger another relay for msd pump.I did the 1000 c.c. upgrade also. Your right they are barely working at 14 psi. I see you did the AEM AFR gauge setup also. Aftermarket gauge's tying into Motec ecu so you can read them on data log is awesome. Were still using Motec cable for now since I still have like 300 minutes left. Were just working now on my boost control setup and that's pretty much it. I was just so tired of tuning piggyback systems and was considering taking everything off. After riding this thing now, I don't see that happening anytime soon. You should talk to Martin about the boost controller setup. It's pretty awesome what he can set it up to do. Boost above certain rpm's, only so much boost at certain rpm, no boost at lower rpm's. Comp tables are awesome. Big Thanks to Martin

Joe, if I only knew then what I know now... LOL
I am sure after we discussed my fuel pressure finding, Martin went right for checking yours too.

See I didn't want one relay operating another relay, too many dominos in the system that powers a pump that can directly induce detonation if goes intermittent at WOT

I have an AEM boost gauge and AFR gauge, but they are stand-alone and not getting any signal from the MoTeC ECU. Actually, I have my MoTeC getting it's Lambda signal input (for data logging only) from the white output wire of the AEM AFR gauge, so I only have one O2 sensor. I am not running the closed loop Lambda control option.

I already have an electronic boost control solenoid tucked away in my "special" cabinet, next to the jar of moonshine and jug of nitromethane... I had set it aside to tinker with later on, as initially I wanted to keep everything simple & low tech when it came to boost control, so was less to go wrong out on the trail. I've had enough of my share of gremlins already...
Because of the actuator I have, the lowest I can ever possibly get my max boost down to is 7 psi, with the boost line unrestricted and direct to the wastegate. Also the reason I build between 2-5 psi cruising down a long straight or across a lake (depending on RPM, speed, and load). There is NO lag with this sled, you'd better be holding on and pointing in the direction you want to be goin' when you punch the throttle.
So having said that, an electronic boost controller physically wont ever open my wastegate at a lower pressure then that. Unless there is a one that contains an air compressor to build it's own pressure then I would have to swap in a wimpier actuator, which conversely wouldn't have enough spring tension to then hold the wastegate flapper closed against the increased exhaust backpressure to make big boost when I do want to switch it from "stun" to "kill"...
I do know that it would allow me to do launch control and step or ramp the boost in over time off the starting line, but I can do the same thing with an ignition timing launch retard table, even if the wastegate was welded shut. Just a different philosophy of yielding the same results.

Attak Conversion Parts List

Here you go, Nick. ;)!
This is what I got from FPP for converting my 2006 Apex to a 2007 Attak 136, for the additional parts you'll need to procure. (excluding what you re-use from your 121 suspension)

Attachments

• Attak_Conversion_Parts List_FPP.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 756
Is that tunnel extension the same as the warrior or is it different? I have a warrior extension and bumper sitting in my garage.

Nice write up and info, but an even better looking ride mbarryracing. Crazy trail sled that I am sure of !
You have created a monster, be safe but fast!

After doing some online surfing today on the new Kawasaki H2R, You may be up a couple tricks on them now with your additions. Really cool and your sleds name says it all. Wow very impressive...

Add me to the MoteC club! I will be studying all things MoteC in the coming months, thanks to all on here that have posted great information!!
X2. Martin just helped me get my apex up and running this a.m. with the new motec. Thanks to you motec owners for helping me pull the trigger.

Back