• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fraying limiter straps on 07 Venture GT ?!(PICS ADDED)

srxrob

Veteran
Hi
Just picked up a new to me 07 venture GT this fall and have been doing some research on the site to set up the suspension. I do seem to have the dreaded track howl which is annoying as well.
Strangely though it seems like the track lugs are hitting the cross bar and limiter straps at the bottom of the straps. They are really starting to fray. The hyfax is pretty worn and i will be changing it this week. Is it possible that the track lugs are too close to the limiter straps because the track is running close to the rail as a result of the worn hyfax?
Anybody else with this problem?
I think that it may be part of my track howl problem.
Also the track sems to be pretty tight?! How tight is everybody running their tracks on the ventures?
thanks in advance.

Theres a thread on the nytro site all about straps, not sure if that will help you. I have an 05 vector and the straps both frayed and broke. I put cat straps on as they are made of differant material and after 4500 miles still look like new.

The straps don't hit the track . I have broken two straps . If one goes replace both . If You do one at atime they don't last long .

I run my track with about 1 inch drop with the rear off the ground ,I dont put any weight on it . It will ratchet a bit in real deep snow .I replaced my track with one with all the holes open and it is louder than the original.
I rode with a guy saturday with a rev 600 SDI he beat me on fuel mileage
by 2 liters I think my primary clutch is hanging up . There is always something with these snow mobiles .

Going to try to snap some pics tonight and i will check the tension without weight. The previous owner seamed to really run it tight.

Yea Yamaha says to hang a 10 lb weight on it and then set it to 1.5 in ,I am guessing at that because I havn't checked the manual for years . If you set it the way they say you will burn more fuel ,and buy more bearings .

Just checked mine this weekend on my 08 Venture GT. One is frayed and broke in half and the other is ready to let go. Glad I found this out before the other one let loose. Suspension is at the factory setting. 1300 miles on the sled. :o|

OK I will try agin for pics. I am almost 100% sure that they are hitting the bottom of the limiter straps and the cross memeber. If you look at the first pics you will see that the rubber covering on the cross member has been torn from the nubs hitting it!
I think this part of my vibration proble.
Actually if you look closely my hyfax is worn quite badly right at that point!
I think what is happening is that as the hyfax wears it brings the track too close to this cross member holding the limiters and it actually starts to make contact!

Attachments

• P3250221.JPG
    P3250221.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 75
  • P3250221.JPG
    P3250221.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 63
  • P3250256.JPG
    P3250256.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 66
  • P3250238.JPG
    P3250238.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 55
Here is a pic of the same thing with the new hyafax installed. Looks to me like there is plenty of clearance now.
I haven't driven it yet but will tonight and report back.

Attachments

• P4030390.JPG
    P4030390.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 69
I just checked mine and my Limiter straps are fine, I changed my sliders at 4000 kms they would of lasted another season but I figured since the suspension was out ....I think the track was running tight or it was misaligned , just my opinion...I run my track very loose and I don't notice track howl unless I make myself listen for it ....Even then it's not bad...

kyzer said:
I just checked mine and my Limiter straps are fine, I changed my sliders at 4000 kms they would of lasted another season but I figured since the suspension was out ....I think the track was running tight or it was misaligned , just my opinion...I run my track very loose and I don't notice track howl unless I make myself listen for it ....Even then it's not bad...

It was really tight. How loose do you run it?

When the back end is in the air the track has about 1"- 1.25" sag in the middle ( closer to back)...Just keep an eye on it , make sure there is no abnormal wear on the inside of the track.............

Back