• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

front shocks suspension adjustment?

AaronBND

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Where is everyone running there stock front shocks at? I have the ring dead-center in the middle of the threads and weigh 195lbs. I would like to get more ski lift! Would I go up or down with the ring? I pm'd Kachess and he said they are running about 1 3/8" threads below the ring on there's, but I read a post saying to tighten it down for more ski lift. Being dead-center I have 1" above and 1" below. Which way do I go, which way do I go? Thanks!

Aaron

Your front shocks will not affect ski lift. They can have an affect on ski pressure but if you want more lift you need to be playing with your limiter straps. Remember more lift from looser limiter also will increase the tendancy to trench. If you want some real ski lift slap a turbo on there, you then only need your skis for loading on the trailer.

Rx1M5

Ok......tell me about the ski pressure? Where do you want them for powder mountain riding? Loose...or tighter? Thanks!

Aaron

i loosened my shocks and that didnt change ski lift. so i put them back in the middle. if that helps you....

If you want ski lift just loosen the limiter straps.

Tighter limiter straps is less trenching. Looser limiter straps makes it look cooler to see a track without the skis touching the ground.

Ya it looks cool to have a track with no ski marks beside it but in the end it doesnt' necesarily mean you'll get higher up the mountain. You need to decide what you are actually trying to improve. If you would like better sidehilling and boondocking for instance I prefer my springs to be softer ie: less ski pressure so I can set an edge easily and quickly. That said, too soft and the sled gets excesively tippy. A bigger guy would probably set them a little stiffer. For all out climbing skis just barely touching the snow is the most efficient position because it provides the optimum balance between approach angle and ski resistance.

Rx1M5

Aaron, think of the front of the track as the balance point of the sled. If you let out your limiter straps it makes the sled sit higher. Since it sits higher it tends to rock on the front of the track. As you accerate it rocks back on the track (ski lift) and as you brake it rocks forward (weight on the skis).
It can also increase the weight transfer by tightening the front track shock and loosening the rear track shock. I just set up two Mountain Maxes and used this way to get them to transfer well.

Good luck

Frosty

PS: My front ski shocks are set as lose as the Yamaha specs allow (maybe a hair less). believe it or not, it makes the sled less tippy in the corners.

I guess I need to get more specific. I guess I have the transfer I should have by having the rear skid, front shock set stiff and the back one set weak. My question is.....what exactly does the adjustment on the front shocks do? Is it for transfer? Is it for rider weight? Is it for tippyness? What does stiffening or loosening the springs on the front shocks (the ski shocks only) do? Thanks.

Aaron

it sets the ride height in the front...higher=tippier...might keep your belly pan out of the snow a bit better to set them full high(compress the spring to force the front up)
chris

I have my 03 as tight as they will go! At anything less I found heavy sled roll on the trail and and it would want to roll over when slowing down in deep powder. I do have the sway bar disconnected for mountain riding. I beileve the newer sleds went with progressive and stiffer springs in the front. They also went with longer sway bars. I'am curently looking to get stiffer progreessive springs or fox floats for the front, but they are a lot of $. But with the turbo who needs skis.

Back