• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Subframe just reinforced and hit a manhole…suggestions? Tweaked again…

jgustman

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'10 Nytro RTX
2013 xtx. Need parts. Hit a snow covered manhole, took a chunk out onf the new curve ski dead center of the spindle. Well I made it 5 miles after the subframe reinforcement. Right front lower a-arm is about 3/4” pushed back and top a-arm is pushed forward 1/4” and the spindle is bent inward at the ski. So the question is if the a-arms are bent or the subframe didn’t hold up… I haven’t pulled anything apart. Suggestions on replacing the spindles with oem or polaris spindles but don’t remember which ones I need.

Lower a arm back tube is most likely bent. Put a straight edge on it.

I ripped the a-arms off on a rail crossing and the frame survived. I did have to repair one of the lower a-arm mounting holes but other than that the reinforced frame held up to the impact.

IMG_1185_zpsc631ce39.jpg
IMG_1165_zps9cb0576e.jpg

a-armdamage_zps2168c4e0.jpg

I ripped the a-arms off on a rail crossing and the frame survived. I did have to repair one of the lower a-arm mounting holes but other than that the reinforced frame held up to the impact.

Looking at my lower a-arm. The rear tube is bent upwards about 1/3” or more when you put a straight edge on it over the entire length. The one on the other undamaged side is also slightly bent upwards about 1/4”. I assume this isn’t normal and should be perfectly straight. Also wrecked the metal center bushing and delrin bushings, otherwise they look ok. It sheared the rear lower a-arm bolt off and egged out the subframe I’m considering just running them and ordering the Mountaintech front end.

The front lower a-arm mounting hole was torn pretty bad but It was the only subframe damage and that was repairable. Peter at Mountaintech called me minutes after I did this to discuss running prototype trail arms so when I put it back together I did some testing with the Mountaintech arms.

framedamage_zps5f810c8e.jpg

frame4_zpscbc4f6bd.jpg

The front lower a-arm mounting hole was torn pretty bad but It was the only subframe damage and that was repairable. Peter at Mountaintech called me minutes after I did this to discuss running prototype trail arms so when I put it back together I did some testing with the Mountaintech arms.

View attachment 170455
View attachment 170456
So, would you buy the Mountaintech arms? Is it really that much more stable? I expect so given the other reviews I have seen.

So, would you buy the Mountaintech arms? Is it really that much more stable? I expect so given the other reviews I have seen.
Most people like them. I tested several prototype sets and did a lot of adjusting on them in an attempt to optimize performance (maybe to much adjusting). I ran them for a season but then went back to the stock front end when I moved to the Viper so my experience with them was short. Overall, I'd say the mountaintech arms are an upgrade over stock but remember It'll still be a Nytro, There's only so much you can do to improve this chassis. The mountaintech forward stance makes the Nytro feel narrow and lighter up front. The adjustability is nice and they are well built but you need to be willing to take the time to fine tune the adjustments to fit your riding conditions and style. Overall not a bad investment.

View attachment 170455
View attachment 170456
Wow Grizz, that is crazy? Super impressive how your reinforcements held up. I am running them on my 08' and felt the sub frame would be pretty stout after welding them in. G.B.

Back