• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel Pump Relay

I posted this on the Tech Section a few days ago, but haven't gotten any replies, so am posting it here.

I was recently on an overnighter, where my 2010 Apex had to sleep outside. In the morning with the temp at -18c, the fuel pump would not come on with the ignition. The engine would turn over, but not start. Long story short, after a few phone calls to my dealer, I swapped out the relay with one of the others, and it fired up.

Now my task is to properly identify, and label each of those 4 relays, plus arrange them for easier access. Obviously, I will be getting the updated "cold weather" relay for put in the fuel pump slot.

Interestingly enough, I previously had a somewhat related issue with our 2010 Vector, whereby on 2 consecutive cold mornings after the sled had stayed outside, it did start up but there were no lights and no power to the 12v DC outlet. After a couple of minutes of the engine running, everything came back online.

In my quest to identify these circuits, there are 3 out of the 4 relays with are similar and thus interchangeable. The other has writing on the relay itself, thus making it different from the other 3. Could someone tell me what this particular relay controls?

Thanks…..

The same happened to me

The headlight is on one of the other relays...and yes,if it gets condensation in the relay, it will not engage until the heat or vibration loosens up that relay.

It is identical...I changed both to red...all good now

ratman said:
The same happened to me

The headlight is on one of the other relays...and yes,if it gets condensation in the relay, it will not engage until the heat or vibration loosens up that relay.

It is identical...I changed both to red...all good now

Do the 11's need this upgrade too?

According to the service manual, the different relay is called a load relay. Looking at the various wiring diagrams, they refer to a load relay for energizing things. ie, Grip warmer system, signal system, lighting system. Not sure if this is the same relay that is called a load relay in the first diagram though. Might be. I think all three of those relay seize up at various times in the cold. Usually though we will only notice the fuel pump relay cause the f*&^*n skidoo won't start. Then with the vibration the other ones usually pick up. Now we are seeing some hold on for a few minutes but they should all start going.

Jim
08 APEX

jagabom said:
According to the service manual, the different relay is called a load relay. Looking at the various wiring diagrams, they refer to a load relay for energizing things. ie, Grip warmer system, signal system, lighting system. Not sure if this is the same relay that is called a load relay in the first diagram though. Might be. I think all three of those relay seize up at various times in the cold. Usually though we will only notice the fuel pump relay as no power goes to the other until the machine starts. Then with the vibration the other ones usually pick up. Now we are seeing some hold on for a few minutes but they should all start going.

Jim
08 APEX

Thanks Jim… Good info!

Back