• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro Rider Review from Revelstoke, BC

Vmax4

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 FXNytro MTX 162 SE with a 270 hp MCX Turbo and assorted goodies!
Ok, here's my 2 cents about the new FX Nytro MTX.

First let me tell you about my riding style and where I am coming from. I grew up in NH and was mostly a groomed and rough trail sort of guy. I enjoyed playing in big snow storms, but basically was always trying to put on big mileage. I have owned most recently a 2002 SXViper, a 2003 RX-1, and my wifes new toy a 2007 Phazer FX.

Now, this past August I moved to WA state and am all of a sudden in a very different snowmobiling world. The area I am in has about 600 miles of groomed trail within 30 minutes of my place and a ton of deep powder riding with lots of rolling hills and play areas. I am sure there is some crazy hill climbing action, but most of what I see myself doing and having fun doing is boondocking through the open meadows and tree line areas and some alpine riding. Also need to e able to trail ride with my wife, as I am all for having my wife out riding with me!!! Although this weekend in Revelstoke has certainly opened my eyes to the possibilities!!!! We will be long tracking her phazer next season........

With that said, here is what I gathered from riding the 2008 FX Nytro MTX 40th Anniversary Edition:

Ergonomics: IMHO I think the seat on this sled is the best seat that has ever come out of Japan!!! It is just the right size, just the right feel, is made from a griping material, and fits the looks of the sled. The seating position puts you in the perfect spot to pop up to a standing position, yet is still very comfortable to sit and ride. I guess I would call it a very natural feeling, and aids in both sitting and standing riding positions. The controls are right where I need them, and the bar ends give it a real nice feel. I love the way you can get around on this sled, very easy to get from side to side, and a real joy to ride!!! Wide running boards make it easy for a new mtn. guy like me to feel in control of where my feet are going to land when I transfer my own weight. Speedo is down and away, but boondocking and bonzi-ing from hill to hill, who cares. Wish it had a little more high tech guage with a clock and altimeter and an MP3 player with surround sound speaks and a 6 disk CD changer under the headlight............. just kidding. It does the job and is easy to read and operate through the modes.

Engine/Power: WOW!!! I could leave it at that....... But I know people would like to know more so here is my experience with it. I rode all 4 engines that Yamaha makes in a row this weekend, (80, 120, 130, 150) and let me tell you, I like this one the best. It was snappier out of the hole and pulled harder than the Apex MTX with the 4 banger in it, and was extremely smooth powered all the way from the start to the top end. Now I own a RX-1, and have alwasy loved that motor, but this 130 hp engine is a whole new ball game and will walk all over an RX-1 and will be keeping right there with the Apex until the top end. I am not one to care about a few sled lengths in a race, so to me, I really think it is more enjoyable to run than the 150hp, and I never thought I would say that. It is extremely quiet, to the point that if a few sleds are going by you, the FX Nytro seems to be in ghost mode. It just doesn't seem to match the power you feel. I personnaly like quiet sleds, and this is by far the quietest 4-stroke in the line up. It is a total winner!!!!

Handling: I really like the feel of this sled, like I said earlier, everything is in all the right places for me. It is extremely nimble and agile. It does not feel as heavy as it may look on paper. You don't have to work very hard to get it where you want it to be, it just follows body input very well, much like a phazer. I didn't get to take it through any roughed out trails, but did follow it down the hill at the end of the day for a bit, and it looked like it was taking the bumps with ease and staying on line with where the rider was putting it. I did get to take it up some steep hills and twinst in and around a few trees. It was fast to react and very predictable. I guess what I am saying is, it made me feel like a better and more capable mountain rider right out of the gates.

Suspension: Seems to be very well calibrated at this point. The snow conditions were not solid solid, but it was not powder either. The sled seemed to take bumps with ease, and transfered weight well. When you needed to get the front end up and over, the engine and suspesnion were there working for you. The front end seemed way more capable of taking chatter than the old Vector Delta Box I, and even the Apex Delta Box II. I liked how the front suspension didn't seem to put you in recovery mode after a hard hit or chatter and it just seemed like you were able to steer through the bumps and the sled did the rest.

Curb Appeal: What can I say, 40th Anniversary Colors all the way!!!! What a cool sled, and even has vintage ties for those that like the history and collectability of snowmobiles. I have been a blue man for a long time, but this one is going to be red and white!!!

There is probably more I could say, but I would just be talking myself into a new sled, and since I already did that, and will be putting the money down when I return from Revelstoke, I will leave it at this. For me, this is the perfect sled, the sled I was hoping Yamaha was going to build after having bought a phazer for my wife. It is a phazer with enough power to satisfy me, and the ergos to ride all day. Not that the phazer isn't enough power 90% of the time, and that it isn't confortable. It is just that the Nytro takes all the things I really liked about the phazer and improved on them. For me the phazer put fun back into snowmobiling, and now the FXNytro is going to light up my world of sledding!!! Like I said for me, this is the perfect sled.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• MyNewSled.JPG
    MyNewSled.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 174

Thanks for the report. Was there a lever to activate the reverse, or was it the push-button Phazer style! I ordered my MTX Anni a while back, just have'nt had this question answered positively yet! Thanks again!!

The ones at the Gr Rapids show had the rev lever mounted like the apex. The motion looked diffrent tho. Like it rolled/cammed out.

Yes, just what Reddog said. It is in a similar location to the Apex, just has the lever rolling in a different direction/way. Didn't even try it on the demo I rode.

Great review!! When watching and listening to one of the Nytro videos I couldn't believe how quiet it was. I really do love the sound of my RX-1 and the sound of the Apex and would miss that sound but the ergos on the Nytro is very inviting!!

Ya I will get to try it out at the BigDawg. Have a trx and want to add to the collection.Was thinking apex with boost but this baby looks like it could be a lot more fun with boost. Can`t wait to try it out.

Great review btw

I would have been in Revy for yamifest with my riding partner ripntear but my sled wasn`t back together yet.

Sounded like a good time.

I had a chance to ride it today and i must say that i am very impressed with this sled. It handled well, was easy to toss around and pulled extremely hard out of the hole. All this and it was comfortable wether you were standing up or sitting down and im 6'8". It could use a little riser for me but for the most part i think it will be perfect for 90 some percent of the people who buy it. Im ver happy to see a sled like this from yamaha and i hope to see more like it in the future. Here is a pic with my sled in the background

apexfix001.jpg

:yam: :4STroke: :Rockon:

HYFLYR,

I know it is hard to comepare, but wondering what you thought of it compared to your Apex, prior to your turbo? Just curious.

Steve

I think it steers alot easier and overall feel is much lighter. I didnt get a full days ride on it but put quite a few miles on it and i would say at the end of the day i would be asking for more. As for the power, wow, much more than i was expecting. Felt much stronger than the old rx1 motors by far imo. It actually outran the stock apex there unitl about the mile 3/4 mile mark.(both mtn versions) It was really slushy but that sled shined. It was way easier to get on its side and stayed there once on one ski. Overall, if funds were in place and i was looking for another sled, this would be it. It just leaves you with a smile on your face and wanting more. I willhave another chance to ride it this next week in better conditions so i will post more but so far so good. I really like the sled :Rockon: :yam: :4STroke:

HYFLYR,

You said you would be asking for more at the end of the day. What is it that would be lacking? Will be interested to see how the second time you ride it goes. Thanks for the comparisons.

Steve

OneLunG said:
I think what he meant was, he would want to ride it more and more because it was so much fun...

This is what i meant, i wanted to ride it more. I dont think it lacked anything to be honest. Everything i did on it was fun. There would be a few things i would change but those are personal preference things like, handle bar height, im 6'8", skis, track(not a fan of the maverick but many people are) and maybe the exhaust, it is so darn quiet. The exhasut is decieving, it doesnt sound like it is making any power at all but it pulls like crazy :Rockon: Love the sled and would love to have one in the stable. :yam:

Back