• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro taillight question

shortstop20

I'm looking to put an LED taillight on my Polaris. I like the looks of the FX Nytro taillight. Just wondering if people have any complaints on the brightness(or lack of) of it and if anyone knows of any special reason why it won't work? I have an SLP LED right now and it's just not bright enough, I'm always worried about people riding behind me not seeing it through the snow dust. My sled has 4 wires(1 taillight, 2 brake light, and one ground). I should be able to splice it into my stock wires and go I think. Are the Nytro short track and long track taillights the same?

I'm guessing not, but does anybody have one for sale?

shortstop20 said:
if anyone knows of any special reason why it won't work?
My sled has 4 wires(1 taillight, 2 brake light, and one ground). I should be able to splice it into my stock wires and go I think.

I recently extended my wires to the Nytro MTX tail light. I am certain that there were three wires and not four wires.

I don't know if this will affect the ability to use the Nytro tail light on your sled.

Good Luck

Sounds good, let me know.

Attachments

• Brokenparts.jpg
    Brokenparts.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 86
My only complaint with the longtrack light, is it is always covered in snow dust. After even a short period of time, it is all covered over and does the person behind me absolutely no good. I continually clear the snow. That may have the most to do with location of the light, but wanted you to be aware. It may have to do with the contour of the light too. Any short track people experience the same thing?

Yep, the fact that it's a low heat LED tail light (originally from the 2002-2003 R1 sportbike), and with the exhaust melting snow on top of it, it's a recipe that requires preventive maintenance. The only thing you can do is keep wiping it clean unless you plan to relocate it.

I am OK with it getting covered and me having to wipe it clean, but for this guy's application, he may want to try something different. Especially if he wants it for safety sake.

Last ride out I had about a half inch of snow/ice buildup......no way to scrape it off without wrecking something......just a faint red glow visible behind the sled.

In years past, one of the things we did from time to time was reach back and wipe the snow off the flat tail light lens that every manufacturer used at the time. It rarely froze on because of the heat from the bulb. Then came the Viper with those beautiful lenses that almost never had snow on them. Now I'm back to the same old issue with no tail light.........but without heat the snow freezes to the lens. I think I'm gonna try some silicone, or maybe wax......

Thanks for the info guys. My current LED is mounted on my rear bumper. It never has any snow covering it, it's just the snow dust behind my sled that makes it hard to see. I never have much snow on my tunnel extension just around the backside of my seat. I think that's more from my boots though, going from one running board to the other off-trail. It seems to me that Yamaha's get more snow buildup on their snowflaps than other sleds, not sure why, it must be the material. I don't ever have any snow on the backside of my flap. Maybe the snow on the flap is somehow getting up on the taillight? The Nytro tailight would be mounted about 2-3" further back than my current LED so I think it will still keep the snow off of it. But like you guys said maybe it's the curvature of the light that does it, my SLP light is rounded off towards the outside, not inwards. Hopefully the light will work good for me, I think I'm going to give it a shot.

I don't think it has anything to do with the shape of the tail light. The exact same tail light is found on the newer Phazer sleds, except on the Phazer, the light is above the muffler, and they don't have an issue with snow/ice restricting the light. I know this because we have an 07 Phazer FX since last year. In the case of the FX Nytro, it's due to the heat off the muffler which causes the snow to melt down on top of the light, and because there is no heat from the LEDs, the snow doesn't melt like it does on regular bulb type tail lights. You should be fine shortstop20, especially being you don't have a rear exiting exhaust.

I agree, I think it will be fine.

sledskiing,

feel free to post those pics in this thread when you get them. Do you take Paypal for payment? If I was to pay you tonight could you ship the taillight tomorrow, I've got a trip coming up Feb. 29 - March 3rd at the Snowy Range, I would like to have the taillight for the trip if possible.

Back