• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FYI- Soft Start Clutch Spring - A MUST Have

THKSNOW

Smooth Operator
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 RS Venture GT
I read about this primary clutch spring some time ago in the SR Viper Talk section, lots of good information here:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/soft-start-clutching-primary-spring-review.133268/

Afterwards I decided to buy one and try it for myself. Let me tell you it works awesome! the BEST $30 I ever spent on a sled. Nice and smooth starts with clutch now engaging at about 2800 -No more doing the herky-jerky moving a sled around, loading on a trailer or starting from a dead stop. I told the 3 guys I ride with to order one for their sleds (Attak, Attak & SR Viper). Especially nice on my 2-up with a passenger.

It was a 5 minute install, take the primary cover off (6 bolts) pull spring off, push new spring on and replace cover --in the same position it was at -mark the primary and the cover in one place so the cover goes back on the primary without changing position.

Here's the description from the BOP website:
Soft Start Clutch Spring
Installing this spring will lower the rpms at which the clutch engages. It makes pulling out much smoother and eliminates the "launch" from a dead stop. Very simple upgrade and well worth the money. Fits all year Vector, Rage, Venture, Nytro, Apex, Attak, Rx-1, RX Warrior & SR Viper
Price: $30.00

http://www.barnofparts.com/Online-Store.html

I couldn't agree with you more. I got one last winter and I love it. The sled seems to perform just as good throughout the rest of the rpm range to. Money well spent.

Putting mine in tomorrow, I hope it lives up to all the hype!

Got em on both my wife's and mine. Such a smooth take off and I see no change thru the rpms either. Diffently worth the money!

Great post I was wondering about that spring and so was my father in law for his 15 vector thanks

I just put the Schmidt Brothers Comfort clutch kit in my 2014 Nytro, this is a must have deal, I hope Yamaha is paying attention here ! I should also mention that when you crack the throttle from about 30-40 MPH the sled is a rocket, best money I ever spent on a sled !

Do to some recent posts on here about the spring, I have received a surge of orders for these springs and and sold out early last week. I had a small order in for them already and they will be here this week, however it will not be enough to fill all orders. Will fill orders in the order they came in.

Thanks for the great info. I just ordered one to try on my Viper. Is 45 ft/lbs. the correct torque for the bolts?

Maybe inch pounds. Not foot.

45 ft/lb would break those little 6mm bolts right off.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Its 10 ft lbs or 14 nm.

Thank you. After a little more searching, I realized the 45 ft/lb. info I found was for the main center bolt NOT the cover bolts. 10 ft/lbs. sounds a whole lot better.:)

Back