• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Soft start primary spring

McLovin

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
1997 Mountain Max 700 144 1.5
2017 Sidewinder 162. Terribly jerky at slow speeds. High engagement. Has anybody figured out the best Yamaha primary spring to put in for low and smooth engagement? I put a pink pink pink into my Viper MTX 141 and it made a huge difference...love that sled now.

Thanks for any experience!

Not sure on the moutains, but the trail clutching is very smooth with low engagement. Maybe you primary has belt debris in it and its hanging up. Take belt off and the primary cover and see how easy it is slide the sliding sheave in and out.

Not sure on the moutains, but the trail clutching is very smooth with low engagement. Maybe you primary has belt debris in it and its hanging up. Take belt off and the primary cover and see how easy it is slide the sliding sheave in and out.
Thanks! I think it's a mountain thing. Rides exactly like my 16 Viper MTX did at low speeds...terribly. Haha

I took my xtx 146 to the mountains after installing the full kit from thunder racing, the engagment was slower and smoother, I got the arms/helix/ both springs/all rollers.

I do have a 2017 m9000 king cat as well i took to the mountains at the same time and it does have different clutches than the winder, but it was smooth as silk. Did the previous owner clutch it for popping the front end up?

I highly recommend talking to the guys at thunder products and telling them what you want to do and how you want it to react, they treated me very well but get ready to spend some bucks. A person doesnt make it to the mountains as much as they would like, so money should be a little more frivilous to get what you want lol.

I had the same problem on a 15 Viper MTX Turbo I bought at the end of last season. The engagement RPM was high and it was nearly impossible to do any technical riding since it would engage and lurch. Really hard to modulate the throttle. I only had it for about a month before they shut sled access down for the season. Maybe I would have gotten used to it if I had ridden it more, but I didn't like it.

I got a soft start spring from Barn of Parts for $35. I'm sure there are other options, but for the price, I thought I would take a chance on it. $35 wouldn't break the bank, and I could have easily purchased many springs that wouldn't do what I wanted them to based on recommendations of guys online.

I installed it last summer and have only ridden once this season, but it seems to make a difference. It engages at a much lower RPM and is a lot smoother. Since I only have a few hours on it and didn't ride real hard, I don't know if there are any downsides yet. But it seemed a lot more manageable than it was before.

I'm not sure if it works on the Sidewinder, but I think the clutches are very similar to the Viper/Nytro/Apex/RX. I would assume it would work on the Sidewinder, but I'm not certain.

Hi, did you find a softstart kit you are using?

After a season with the Barn of Parts soft start spring on my boosted Viper MTX, I really like it. I haven't noticed any drop in performance in the higher RPM's, and it sure is nice to be able to engage smoothly and modulate your power at lower RPM's.

After a season with the Barn of Parts soft start spring on my boosted Viper MTX, I really like it. I haven't noticed any drop in performance in the higher RPM's, and it sure is nice to be able to engage smoothly and modulate your power at lower RPM's.
I agree, have had one for the last 3 seasons and love it

I have a BOP soft start spring and love it as well. Million times better in deep snow and backing up. The lower engagement keeps the track from trenching. I *may* have lost a bit top end but still worth it. Loading and unloading the sled from trailers and truck box is a million times for safer.

Back