• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gaylord to I.R. , MI !

ApexMuscle1000

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 YAMAHA NYTRO MTX 153"
Talked to buddy tonight that lives in Indian River and he had no problem running from I.R. to Gaylord on the rail bed put 57 miles on after work........Sounds like in northern mich they have min. of 12 inches and gaylord may have between 18 and 20 inches maybe more ....can't wait to get up fri. night and rip it up on the RTX....see ya'll on the trails this weekend ...THINK SNOW !

I plan on going up friday to break in the 900 ;)! . I hear from my pop's in grayling it's descent with 12-18 on the ground now, but they're calling for more before the weekend. should be a good time

I live in Atlanta, we went riding on the 1st groomers are out.... not sure what will happen over the weekend, but they are calling for snow everyday in the extended forecast! best start to a season up here in years.

You are right ahicks. The Gaylord groomers were out of commission for a couple days... however there is no shortage of snow. There is anywhere from 1-3 feet depending on where you are at.

I came up to Gaylord on Wed morning. First ride was over towards Lewiston and the trail was nice and smooth for about 3 miles, then I came across the groomer that was buried about 12 feet down in a ditch. Not good! Needless to say the rest of the ride on Wed was not up to par at all. Today I rode over through lakes of the north and again was very dissapointed, no groomer had been through that 25 mile stretch either. After asking around I found out that the groomer that runs that stretch of trail is still down for maintenance purposes. Supposed to be running by Friday, we will see... Once I got to the East Jordan system the trails were amazing. The Jordan Valley is always an excellent ride. Then I headed up towards Wolverine, and the Petosky system was a complete dissapointment. They have not even brushed or signed those trails. I will be calling and writing a nasty email to the Petosky Club... all those tax dollars and nothing was prepared for the season. The good news I have is that on my way back from Wolverine to Gaylord, just as I was getting back into town I saw the groomer running. He was heading north on trail 7 towards Vanderbilt. Not sure how much of the system he got done, but I was very dissapointed with this first trip.

For my ride tomorrow I have decided to trailer down to Grayling and ride that system. I spoke to some people out on the trail today that said that system was excellent.

My suggestion is avoid the Gaylord area (I hate to say that, it is one of my favorite places to ride) at least for this weekend. They are way behind on the grooming, and it wont take much traffic this weekend to make things worse. If you are going to come up, go to Indian River, East Jordan, Grayling, Harbor Springs, Houghton Lake, etc. IMO anywhere will be better than here, at least for now.

Sorry for the bad news, but I gotta tell it like it is.

ndc821 said:
You are right ahicks. The Gaylord groomers were out of commission for a couple days... however there is no shortage of snow. There is anywhere from 1-3 feet depending on where you are at.

did you by any chance run through chandler hills? did they ever fix the bridge? I'm just curious for what i was going to take my son for a ride to i.r. from grayling. thanks, scott

Groomer came by the cabin (Waters) today from Gaylord. It's not the DNR like I heard but a independent. Happy trails...

I did run through 1 section of the chandler hills trails, but they had not been groomed and were not brushed/signed. I never made it to the bridge.

I rode 90 miles today in Grayling. Went from 4 mile out to starvation lake, then rode the blue bear trail south. All trails in Grayling were groomed and in great condition. Only thing is when I left Gaylord this morning they had a fresh foot of snow that fell overnight, unfortunately Grayling didnt get any fresh snow but they sure could use it. Some of the corners and hills are showing dirt. Hopefully they will get it in the next couple days like forecasted. We shall see...

thanks ndc821, we did end up running from grayling through lewiston and back, the trails weren't all that bad considering the early season with no base set up and all ;)!

Back