• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gear Reduction

its the gear reduction off the motor to the primary clutch, I dont know what the tooth count or % is but I got a pic of mine when it went to hell (very rare problem) Small gear in the middle is on the end of the crank, big gear on left goes to primary, small gear far right oil pump, cam chain is the chain.

Snowmobile001.jpg

So the gear reduction slows down the RPMs to the primary and Yamaha said hey why not use the gear reduction to power the oil pump etc.?

Ya it slows the RPM of the primary down. The oil pump technically drives off the crank but it does go off from the gear they use for the reduction. The cam chain is still on its own on the crank.

Joe

happen to mine also then motor went a short while longer, i broke 4 teeth off on my gear

Failure was definitly a issue on some of them.Was blamed on to tight of a fit between the two gears.Seemed once enough miles were put on without failure they were fine. It is wierd that I never heard of the Rx1 or Apex having this issue.Hoping to pull my 8-9000mi motor this summer and will definitly be looking close at this.

Back