• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing apex

polcat

Extreme
Looking for some feed back on gearing the apex gt, some people were saying to gear down from 24 to 23 top & some say the 22 top gear ran better all around, any feed back would be great.

I will be runing a whole new setup this season. A friend of mine will be trying a whole new clutching combo in my sled with some new clutch components that are not yet on the market. We are going to run 22/40 gears and this should be good for 105 at 10,400 and 112 with over rev, Actualy he says it will pull 115. If this works in my sled like it worked in his race sled's at the end of last season it will be awsome. Most will not come close to pulling the gearing they have accept on ideal ice cond's so gear for what you can pull on snow and get there much quicker. It will take one good runing sled and some real hard snow to pull 112 or so. Please don't ask me about the clutch parts as i can not say at this time but if every thing works out the kit's will be for sale this fall for Apex's. kviper

Thats what I ran last year. Everything else stock. 22/40 wow, the bigest problem is keeping the track hooked up.

What does the 23 top gear do??? I assume stronger bottom end and less top speed ??? How much stronger and how much off the top end ???

23/40 w/o reverse is the best combo I've tested. It's somewhere just slightly lower than 22/38 if I'm not mistaken.

(192 studs, 1.25" Ripsaw)

Jimmyhighway,

What kind of speeds do you see on the dream meter when running on snow (not ice)?

118-119 on the dm, warm temp 30F, firm conditions. I don't feel the sled has lost much on top from 24/40. Pulls very hard on the trail. This is running proline clutching w/ primary tip weight 2.4g.

Any time you are geared for more mph than you can pull you will run less top end, Reason being the higher ratio will put less power to the ground, (clutching being equil). The 22/40 (1.81 to 1) ratio will give a stock Apex for 99% of the trail/lake condition's all the MPH it will pull. This gearing with the new clutch components that i will be running on good hard pack should be unreal. We are hoping to be testing some time in early November or sooner. I will be posting some results when they are available. kviper

Back