• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing change

clutch

Expert
I want to change my top gear to a 19 but when I went to order the gear from my dealer he told me I would have to get a different chain. I call Bull$hit

i put a 18 40 on my stock nytro wit no boost, and the stock chain..
i think im going to go 18, 44.. love the low end grunt.. these things go to fast for mtn riding anyways

you would think all 153 mtx would come with 20, and maybe the short tracks would get the 22..
either way its a great upgrade for boondocking, and makes a huge difference off the line when racing...
like i said i want to go more 18 44 or 18 46 etc.
by enlarging the bottom gear it takes up the slack caused by droppin the top gear, and gears it down.
with the 18 40 i can still do 140 kmh on good snow,

What is stock gearing?

Stock gearing

According to the 2008 service manual for an MTX, stock gearing for the USA and Canada was 20/40 with a 68 link chain. The European models were 22/40 with a 70 tooth chain. There was apparently some sort of "low elevation" or "high elevation option" in the US as well, which I believe had different gearing.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to raise the rear of the sled, put a mark on the secondary and another one on the drivers, rotate the secondary "exactly" two times and then check the drivers. If the drivers make "exactly" one revolution, you have 20/40 gears.

Used to do this on rear axles of cars to check the gear and pinion ratios without taking the pumpkin cover off. Just something to think about.

:Rockon:

ok I have to ask is the gears differnent from the
Vipers? I have a 19 top gear from my viper?
What about the bottom gears are they different because of the reverse?

Yes. bottom gears are different from reverse to non-reverse...

MTX%20Gears.jpg

those that have geared down what is your track speed in the powder? I am at the 20/40 i never had the low altitude comp done to my gears.

Thank you

akvector, you will have better track speeds with the lower gearing in the deep snow. With the taller low alt gearing they suffer and cant hold rpms quite as well. I would stay with the 20/40 you have as you will have better performance with it.

I did not want to gear up I was thinking about gearing down again.

Mods on the way, Trail tank, OFT steering relocate,
Timbersled rear suspension, Snow eliminators and track is in the garage. Who is the tunnel mod expert here in AK??
Thank you

Back