• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting an Apex Xtx. ...any advice? ?

Heritage

Expert
I had an 07 Attak...how does the xtx compare?? I'd love to hear from those of you that have owned both (an Attak and an xtx)
Pluses.? Negatives?

I have zero experience on a torsion spring equipped apex..are they stiff?? Easy to adjust?? What kind of ride can I expect??

Power ??

Etc.

Thanks

I made the switch from an 06 attak to a hold over 2012 Apex XTX last year. I have 1000 mi on the new XTX sled. The pwr steering is great. A lot less fatigue after 200 - 300 mi day. I left the XTX suspension set pretty much stock from the dealer. Inside ski lift is less when racing through the woods but that may be because I can lean differently not worrying about cranking on the handle bars to turn and the Attak was studded. I did some tweaking on the suspension of the Attak based on suggestions on this site and it was better but still had some. So far I don't think the XTX will get studs.

The suspension is quieter and I think the ride is better. The little bit higher seat helps my knees. The Attak banged the whole time I had it and I just got used to it. I put a skinz float plate on the XTX instead of the belly plan protector and even with the ripsaw track it did pretty good and lots better than the Attak in some deep snow last year. I have read good things about the XTX with 1.5" crossover track and will probably go that route.

I liked my Attack for the 8 years I had it and like the XTX even more. I think it has improved handling and ride. I can't tell the HP difference they are both fast.

Two very minor things are the pwr steering module takes up some room in the nose of the sled so I lost some storage space. I also preferred the pipes out the back further apart like on the Attak to allow for a tunnel bag when we do overnight trips. The XTX messed up (melted) the extreme water safe bag pretty good on long high speed portions of the trip. I didn't think it would be that big a difference but it ended up making a difference.

I made the switch from an 06 attak to a hold over 2012 Apex XTX last year.

Two very minor things are the pwr steering module takes up some room in the nose of the sled so I lost some storage space. I also preferred the pipes out the back further apart like on the Attak to allow for a tunnel bag when we do overnight trips. The XTX messed up (melted) the extreme water safe bag pretty good on long high speed portions of the trip. I didn't think it would be that big a difference but it ended up making a difference.

I would like to see as well how if anone carry's on the back . I have a 2500lb Warn winch I have strapped to the rear platform on my Attak and at some point would get into a Apex XTX but the exhaust looks like a problem. Would some turn outs help? I think they make them for that machine. I saw a guy yesterday that had 8 in extensions(straight out thou) on his exhust (Apex 2007) he must of fabricated them himself. The Warn 2500lb winch I made. Get's black on my 07 on the XTX I could imagine the XTX burning holes.

Last edited:
I had an 07 Attak...how does the xtx compare?? I'd love to hear from those of you that have owned both (an Attak and an xtx)
Pluses.? Negatives?

I have zero experience on a torsion spring equipped apex..are they stiff?? Easy to adjust?? What kind of ride can I expect??

Power ??

Etc.

Thanks

I've never owned an Attack, and after my first year on my '13 Apex XTX, I thought it was very stiff. I'm 6' 230 dressed. Always kept the torsion spring on soft. The number one suspension upgrade that I did and thought was an instant improvement was getting a shock kit from Hygear. Pricey, but WELL WORTH it.

I have an 07 attak which I love and my dad has an 11 xtx.....which I love even more. Both sleds are nearly stock. XTX has more track, power steering(awesome) and sits up higher and more forward. The XTX will go through sliders much faster so we put the duponts on and they are wearing great. XTX has a smaller tank but will get better mileage than my attak. Power wise the mid range on the XTX is awesome. He can pull away from me on the lake after about 60 mph. I am heavier but I have tried his with the same result....the XTX is slightly faster on the mid range and the top end and the dream meter is very accurate compared to the older models. It is also better in deeper snow with the 144 track. Bottom line is if I could afford it I would definetly be riding one.

Well I had an 06 attack and hated it,as it pushed no matter what skis I had on it,and that annoying noise of the mono skid banging had me going aarr at times,and its ride was worse than my boys 06 rtx so I made it a short track later the next year and loved it. But my first ck skid came on my 07 rtx apex,i hated that skid,we did everything we could to get it to corner and ride ok,well we failed,and soldit the next year,for the doo 08 xpx 8 and loved and hated that sled,so back to the apex in a year or two,so this is my first long track,and second ck skid sled,if I don't like the way it rides and handles I may try star suspension,for different links. But so far it rides very soft,maybe a bit to soft,i was scared it would be way to stiff for my new body weight I now have for this season,down 60lbs from 250 to 190 so I had my dealer set it up as soft as it would go,and drop front skid down from the limiter straps a few holes,torsion springs on all soft',transfer at full transfer,unstudded track for now,clicker full soft. I only have 41 miles on it,thru junk hard trails full of water bars at new years time,so I don't have a great perception of it yet,but my buddys attack can rip thru the corners much faster than I safely can,he is studded and completely set up,with thousands of miles on his. If we launch from a start in a field,mine pulls slightly ahead,could not run top end to see which one is faster,i need more time on mine,but I do love the PS,but do not like the short bar riser from Yamaha,heck I am only 5'6" tall and when I stand I still are bent at the back,it needs at least a 2" riser added,but it pulls realy hard off the line and right to 10,000 rpms now,i do like that,dampers well I cant give any advise on them yet!

The XTX rear suspension is much, much better than the Attak's. Bump absorption through the entire range of travel feels more modulated, linear & predictable. It's a cushier ride but feels more controlled.
All the same principles apply when adjusting the XTX compare to the 136 Mono. Easy to adjust? Not so much, you'll need the usual arsenal of spanners & gloves to avoid skinned knuckles. Why Yamaha doesn't follow Ski Doo's footprints in terms of adjustment convenience is beyond me.
If you stud the track, you'll need to install spacers between the tunnel & protectors otherwise, studs will gnaw through the EXUP. I would think a better solution would be to install an Ice Ripper or Ice Attack track.

I'm new to both the forum and a 2012 Apex xtx . Previously rode 07 Attak GT, after tuning it was on rails.
Looking for info on Star suspension . Rode yesterday in the Bracebridge area which at 4 pm was very rough . Didn't see a huge improvement in ride over my 07 Attak.
I'm 5ft 8 approx 180 dressed .
I had pilots skis on the attak with dual runners 4"and 6" it clearly out handles does the Apex with stock skis

I'm new to both the forum and a 2012 Apex xtx . Previously rode 07 Attak GT, after tuning it was on rails.
Looking for info on Star suspension . Rode yesterday in the Bracebridge area which at 4 pm was very rough . Didn't see a huge improvement in ride over my 07 Attak.
I had pilots skis on the attak with dual runners 4"and 6" it clearly out handles does the Apex with stock skis
What is the xtx doing that the attack did not do,other than turn sharp? My xtx is unstudded for now,has tuner stock skis,w/6" shaper carbides on inside and 4" stock carbides on outside,limiter strap pulled up two holes,all soft on the sled other than this. Transfer rods at full transfer,torsion springs soft,clicker all soft,i am 195 in the shower,and it rides kinda soft right now and still does not turn like my procross that I had set up w/pilot skis w/6" shaper bars and 4" carbides,i still have the skis so if I decide I need more ski once I get it dialed in,i can add them.

when you say full transfer mnmsnowbeast are you saying you have it set to lift the skies and transfer all the weight to the rear when getting on the throttle?

mine was way to stiff from factory as i could not flex the torsion springs at all and i weighed 260lb at the time. i had to put nitro xtx springs with 4 position adjusters to get what i wanted for ride. as i lost 60 lb this last year and had the shocks freshened up, i might need to do my tuning over again. felt good on saturday though breaking 50km of trail in 2' of snow.

when you say full transfer mnmsnowbeast are you saying you have it set to lift the skies and transfer all the weight to the rear when getting on the throttle?
Yes,that softens up the suspension,at some point I can adjust some transfer back out if its to soft after I make some more adjustments to the straps up front.

OK, then that explains you telling us it won't corner. Full transfer might softened the ride some but now you can't go around corners. JMO but you should be starting with no transfer and work your way back until you find your sweet spot. all your weight is now to the rear of the sled. i have my sled set at medium on the stock torsion springs, which gives my 220lb weight a 1 1/2 to 2 " sit in, studded in the middle, one hole up on the limiters, front rear shock softened up and i adjust my rebound as necessary on the rear shock (i start at 3 to 4 clicks from soft). I also added a set of tuner skies with dual 6" carbides. With the EPS you can load more weight on the front end with no side effects. I can rail around corners just as well (pretty darn close and very good for a 144") as my SRX. i will need to rebuild the rear shocks next year but I'm really happy with the way this Apex rides and handles after i did some adjusting. Previous owner had the rear set way to hard with too much transfer. He also had the rear of the suspension bolted to the lower hole in the rear bracket which lifted the rear way too much, it felt like i was riding a teeter totter.

keep adjusting you will get it the way you like it

With 4 sleds in the trailer from 3 different companies, I'm not exactly brand loyal but the 2012 XTX that I bought new is the best sled I've owned or ridden out of the 20 or so machines that I've had - by far. It's real hard to take it back from anyone that tries it and well worth all this stuff, about $1500 worth in parts, that I've put into it for riding and handling the way I like at the speed and places I run it. I expect to have this sled until something much much better comes along...and having ridden a bunch of them, that's definitely not a new Viper with the lack of Apex power and quality. In no particular order (some of these definitely needed on the XTX, some not) :
- Pioneer 13mm Sway Bar
- Snowtrackers
- Star Suspension Kit & Pull Rods
- Hygear Revalved Rear Clicker Shock with Hyflo Valve & Hose
- Heavier Center Shock Spring (RX1)
- Star Revalved & Shimmed Center Shock
- Mack Studs (possibly an Ice Attak XT track in my future)
- Port Reinforced Tunnel Protector Brackets
- Excel Wheel Kit
- Marginal Snow Wheels
- Dupont Hyfax
- SlideKick Snow Scratchers
- WRP +2 Seat
- Lake Effect Riser
- HID's
- Gates Carbon Fiber Belt (better grip with less dust,squeel and hopefully grooves in the primary than the Ymha 8DN)

.....and I'm forgetting something... but running it with a very tight center shock spring, torsion blocks on soft, the limiter straps up 1 Hole and the A arms almost flat and it's about as dialed in and good as I can get it. Ride safe and have fun with it!

Back