• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Glad to be on a Yamaha !

Mad Russian

Expert
All i can say is Unbelivible. This past weekend in the U.P. i seen more sleds broken down then i ever seen in the last 7 yrs that i been riding a snowmobille. 90% of them were ski doo and the rest were cats and poos. I even seen a husbend towing his wife and there kid behind the wife. So when they stoped i had to ask what happend. Well the man was verry pissed off and just told me that he is done with ski doo and is going to buy a yamaha for next season. I guess his wifes 600 e tec had blown the motor 3rd time this season and his sons 800r keeps blowing belts. The husbend was pulling bouth of them on a 1998 srx 700. When is relaibilaty going to come before light wait and cool graphics? I do not understand! :o| :drink: :yam:

Hay! You can't blame people for choosing the wrong sleds! That's rude..

I say let em wrench, let their engines break down and let em walk home!

Let them learn the hard way ;)!

I agree 100%. I remember a Road&Track article from the 80's that road tested a lamborgini and a ferrari. Beautiful cars, incredible performance but they had to bring a ride-a-long mechanic to keep them both running. What a joke! Some people are just fools for image.
Sleds are expensive, winter is short, dealer servicing is big $, why add another headache.

Mad Russian said:
All i can say is Unbelivible. This past weekend in the U.P. i seen more sleds broken down then i ever seen in the last 7 yrs that i been riding a snowmobille. 90% of them were ski doo and the rest were cats and poos. I even seen a husbend towing his wife and there kid behind the wife. So when they stoped i had to ask what happend. Well the man was verry pissed off and just told me that he is done with ski doo and is going to buy a yamaha for next season. I guess his wifes 600 e tec had blown the motor 3rd time this season and his sons 800r keeps blowing belts. The husbend was pulling bouth of them on a 1998 srx 700. When is relaibilaty going to come before light wait and cool graphics? I do not understand! :o| :drink: :yam:

Ehem, 1998 SRX and reliability. I know one and another 1998 SRX 600 and 700 who had lots of crank problems. And no pics... ya you know. If I take my base of information I would say that 600 e-tec is pretty reliable. The ones with problems what I know about are Poo 800 and Doo 800's. About Cat... I dont see that they had any major problems with engines since 2003. Pretty reliable machines I would say. I think this i BS.

No motor problem's since 03? WOW! You mean not many that didn't have problem's. You have to realize this sit is used to sled's running 10,20,30 thousand mile's! Any Doo motor with the sealed crank bearing's is not a long life motor with out a rebuild.

I know of two 98 SRX 700's that have over 10,000 miles on em. One had 12,000 or so miles on it before the top end went, the other has 14,000+ and is still going.

kviper said:
No motor problem's since 03? WOW! You mean not many that didn't have problem's. You have to realize this sit is used to sled's running 10,20,30 thousand mile's! Any Doo motor with the sealed crank bearing's is not a long life motor with out a rebuild.

The 2003 is about Cat. The average F7 driver pushes his machine at a higher level then the average Venture owner. So the day the average Apex owner jumps like a F7, M8 owner then I will see the Chassis on the Apex. Duh.

The 600 e-tec has its ISO-bearing and you should change them when you change pistons. It is not that expensive so I dont see the problem. The problem with the poo's 800 when it grenades at half throttle that is a problem.

My Cat has gone for about 4 k's without any problems. My old Yammie 2-stroke has gone for 10 k's without any problems. Yes I have to fill oil and change plugs and on the Cat additional I must adjust the exhaust valves and changes oil in the DD. But I think they are pretty reliable.

The 4k's on the cat is not groomed trail. Neither is the 10 k's on the Yammie.

99srx600 said:
I know of two 98 SRX 700's that have over 10,000 miles on em. One had 12,000 or so miles on it before the top end went, the other has 14,000+ and is still going.

This is taken from Totallyamaha Information

[qoute] 1998 SRX 600/700. All cranks were defective. No exceptions. A "crank program" was initiated, and by now about 99% of the cranks of the 98 600's and 700's are trued and welded. If you are going to buy one of these models, ask anyway if the crank is done or not.

1999 SRX 600/700 Some studded 700's had crank problems. Haven't heard of any studded 600's having this problem. Anyway, if you don't stud the 99 srx's the crank will probably hold up. From what we have heard there are no crank failures among 99 models overseas. But then, they aren't studded either. Some of them have in excess of 3000 miles on them. If you buy a '99 SRX, and demand absolute reliability, or you want to stud the sled, be sure to weld the 3 wrist pins on the crank. The lock-tite might not hold forever.

2000 SRX 700 - No crank failures. The crank is revised from what we have been told.

Things to watch for to see if you have a bad cranks: vibration in the handle bars, out of round when clutch is moving, loss of power and top speed.
[/qoute]

But I'm sorry to have said something bad about a Yamaha. <shaking my head>

spike337 said:
I understand your point, but what was theirs?!

lol... I was on a trip like that this weekend on a Yamaha VK 540, they are pretty sick and I didnt need that amount of violent behavior. So I truly agree with you... What was theirs :-D

Back