• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Good little story and some questions for you guys

davessrx

Extreme
So I call an engine builder/parts supplier I deal with out of MN today to ask him about my current sled and what other's I should look at buying. He starts telling me about this Polaris and this skidoo and which ones to look at and what motors he does the most and least. I say "hey what about the Yamaha 4 strokes" He goes "I've never had to work on one" What? Never? I ask. "Nope" I know you have to change oil every year and the weight more but there bulletproof. So I'm told him I'm done with my Polaris, done. I'm getting a Yamaha again.

So about me. Not much cash...maybe 4k tops to spend. Fastest sled I've owned 700srx, slowest 485 phazer. I now have a 600ho Polaris which is OK power wise, rides ok but has a lot of little annoying issues. I'm more into trail cruising and comfort than anything. Favorite sled to date is probably my 700 edge for all around power, handling and comfort. We due 1 big trip every year in Northern WI. I DON'T want to be constantly working on it. If it needs a few things that is OK. I work on cars for a living, I can and do fix things but after work the last thing I want to do at night is tinker with a sled I put 1,000 miles a year on.

What should I look for?

The newest, lowest miles Vector you can find would be my choice.

4strokeluvr111 said:
The newest, lowest miles Vector you can find would be my choice.

X2! An Apex is awesome on the trail, but a Vector is the best bang for the buck. A 2012+ Vector LTX really is one hell of a trail sled!

Dave, Trail cruising I would recommend the vector or rage, same 120 hp as the 600 poo you a riding now. great gas mileage and really reliable and probably in the 4 k price range. Apex would also be a good choice ,150hp class ( fuel injected) with more top end speed but much heavier( hard to find in 4K$ range). RX1 is the older version ( Carbed) but equal in HP(150) and similar in weight to the apex. Look around and you can find deals for sure. (Miles isn't an issue with these motors, 10,000 miles is nothing to shy away from) Watch out for suspension components with high mileage, honestly the only weak point. Read up on here for examples of those types of issues. Try the models out if you can and see what you really like and ride on!
Good luck
Blue ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)!

Trail cruising the 3 cylinder can't be beat. Some times the 4 cylinder will give you the annoying " howl " at certain speeds/conditions---and don't say " just go faster"--some days it can't avoided. It was one of the top reasons for getting rid of my 12 Apex.

I think the 2008 or newer vector would suit you well, the chassis improvement made from that year forward are much better for trail manners and will have the mono shock skid in the rear. The 2010 vector also comes with efi and then in 2012 they added power steering. 20+mpg. When you wanna crack the flipper open, it will feel just as good and maybe better than your 700. 4 stroke power is addictive because of the broad torque range, which gives them the pull at all rpms. I have to believe that they are the most enjoyed sleds by their respective owners, as they are harder to come by than all other current yamaha models. Good luck in your search, Scott

All the Yamahas are heavy! something a lot of people whine about coming off a lighter machine.you will be very happy with either one you choose.Vector is a little lighter,handles little better ,better mpg.Apex has more power,little heavier.my buddy has been a polaris die hard for 30yrs and he is tired of all the 2-smoke issues.hes looking at a Vector for his style.he hates to buy foreign ,but he also hates wrenching in the short snowmobile season. :rules :letsnow: :letsnow:

Reliability, comfort, trail riding I would suggest an Venture and you can take a passenger and pull a sliegh if you want.

My 2010 vector LTX with a higher windshield is a dependable,warm trail rider , love the sled
put good carbides on it and your good

If your taller you will want to do some work to raise the seat and raise your handle bars a bit on the Vector or Apex but for trail cruising you cant beat the motors. My biggest concern is everything wearing out around the motor.

I have an 05 vector 121 with the CK skid very happy with it. I did replaced the stock shocks with axis racing shocks from Hygear much improved the ride and handing.

Back