• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Good times! Can't get ski bolt out!

87gtNOS

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
12 Apex XTX MCX powered
Gonna swap skiis, but can't get one of the mount bolts out! Beat the heck out of it, won't budge!

Sheesh...

Yea they can be a PITA! I've gotten in the habit of pulling mine a couple times during the riding season and greasing them along with the suspension. If ya don't the bolt corodes with the collar. Like what you're experiencing. Keep pounding they will eventually come out.
Btw it would probably be a good time to replace that collar along with the bushings in the knuckle.

Have someone "backup" the other side of ski so it's not bouncing. Use a big chunk of metal to back it up.

Put a little heat on just the bolt then let it cool... do that a few times and then beat on it.

Last edited:
Remove the spindle and mount it in a vise, spray it for a couple days. It's a seasonal thing to grease the bolts and bushings.

LOL! Thanks guys, the ski and spindle are in the back of my truck...taking them to work tomorrow to beat on them some more, but with a bigger hammer!

will coat the bolt with anti-seize when I put it all back together! LOL

You may also want to look into replacing the sleeve (#13) that the ski bolt goes into as well as the two bushings (#29). I did this on my 08 Apex LTX last year primarily because it has over 13K miles but considering how rusted your bolt was, this may be something to consider.

ski.JPG

Those shims can be a PIA to remove but I just used a long regular screwdriver and hammer since the thickness of those shims is very small and the chisels I had were a bit too large and kept sliding off of the edge of the shim when hitting with a hammer.

I ordered the new sleeve on Monday. I have not looked at it since I got the bolt out though. I did also order the spindle bushings as that is where I have slop....I think I have over 14000 kms of Turbo ski lifting! LOL

Back