• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GPS and moving Maps...Reccomend this??

Apex_GT

Expert
Ok I went to the GPS section and it seemed pretty abandoned so I thought I would try this post here.. I'm thinking about mounting a GPS to my apex gt... Couple questions... Do you have to subscribe to a service?? Is there trail maps available?? How hard is it to have it heated to some degree.. Can you read it while moving?? At -30 will it still work?? Do vibrations affect it... Is it worth getting?? I am going on a 3 week trip in Febuary and think it might be valuable cause I hate getting lost...Thanks for any help..

I have installed a mount for a GPS on my GT. I just got my first GPS, a Garmin GPSmap60cs, and I will be running it on the sled. At a minimum you can use the GPS to get a fix on your position to compare it to your trail map. You can also create a track which you can follow back to your camp or another reference point and save the track for later use or sharing with other GPS users. Use the forum search or google for various ways guys have used to heat a GPS, inclduing wiring in a handlebar element on the mount. I think a fellow TY member has a cellphone case that fits his GPS with an extra pocket sewn in for chemical heaters. Some trail maps list coordinates for various places which you could enter into the unit to let the unit provide a "bearing" to the location. You don't need a subscription unless you get a Sattelite radio/weather unit which is awesome but pricey (>$800, hate lose that one). Lots of riders also use the GPS to get their max speed or to know how fast they're going instead of relying on inaccurate speedos. You can use mapping software to pre-plot routes but my experience to this point is there are not alot of snowmobile trails that are widely available for uploading to the GPS but I am sure that is changing as more and more riders use them and map their club's trails. If you can wait, Garmin will soon be releasing several new versions of current models that will have removable memory cards, including the GPSmap60csX.

I e-mailed Garmin and asked them which GPS would be best for the three applications I would be using it, snowmobiling, motorcycling and automobile. They suggested the Quest 2. Thats what I got along with the topo map. It comes with the road map and unless you want to map your trails thats all you should need.

Try fishweb.com. The free trail maps have long./ lat. postions for most landmarks on the maps (N. MI). This has worked for me: stop, get a positon off GPS and compare to your trail map or even a county road map will get you close. You can try to read the GPS and navigate while 'underway' but you'll be missing alot on the trails not to mention how unsafe this is! Maybe on the lake in blinding snow but even then I have had trouble seeing screen.

actionjack, would you have a picture of your GPS and mount on the sled??
I have a 60CS and took it yesterday on an 80 ride on my GT. Just used the Garmin car dash mount with velcro and located it just to the left of the tach. Works good there, but it is almost impossible to read the screen while riding. A lot of guys use a RAM mount on their handlebars and I was thinking of buying one.
Any other ideas??

Thanks.

you'll need a heater if it's below 18f

i use a grip heater, with some aluminum foil between the gps and the heater. i melted the gps a little a couple of years ago, i haven't had a problem since i added the aluminum foil.

the red switch under the bars on the left side is for the gps heater, just to the right of it is the plug for my heated shield.

Attachments

• 06apexgps.jpg
    06apexgps.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 130
My Garmin GPS lll+ and mount. Just another option which leaves clear vision to gauges and gives good position to read the GPS.

Attachments

• 100_0231 (Small).JPG
    100_0231 (Small).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_0232 (Small).JPG
    100_0232 (Small).JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_0233 (Small).JPG
    100_0233 (Small).JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 127
Wizard do a search. I know there was a recent post by PX29 that had a 60CS mounted on the rider side of the steering post up high by the pad. You could also PM him, he has a good rig for hardwiring the GPS.

Back