• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trouble idling and engine dies

Shockey

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Venture lite multipurpose
Hi all, I’ve got an 08 venture lite multipurpose. Newer to me and seemed to run perfect few months ago but recently developed some troubles. Problem most notable was last weekend when out trail riding when I go to stop it would idle down very low and quit. That’s when it’s obviously past it’s post warm up higher idle. This would reoccur constantly. And I figured out to restart it I’d need to apply a tiny bit of throttle at the correct time when cranking to get it to rev up on start just to start. While riding it seemed to be ok. Whatever this issue is I figured how to get around it but yesterday it seemed to be worse. After a cold night I decide to do a cold start after it sat for few days. Ok it started up high idle, ran for about a minute, then shut it off and trailered it later that day to the lake. There I started it cold and it didn’t sound that great almost like it was running on one cylinder. Had trouble backing it off the trailer - weak. Tried for a bit going fwd/rev it seemed to be weak still, thought I’d have to just reload it and call it a day. But I managed to get it moving and tried driving it around to clear it up. After some back and forth feeling weak maybe a quarter mile of driving in big circles i could suddenly feel the power and sound return and then it seemed to run strong as long as I didn’t sit and leave it to idle in which case it would idle down and shutt off again. The only other thing to add is the previous trail weekend I had to break a bunch of fluffy trail and I had snow going everywhere surely filling the dash board with the fluffy stuff. And about 2 weeks prior to all of this I did notice it idle down to 700 and sit without quitting after warned up.

Any ideas? This is my first four stroke. Only had two strokes before this.

Ps. No engine lights are on.

Last edited:

Thanks, I’ll definitely look at adjusting the valves when I go over it thoroughly as spring approaches - since based on the weather it doesn’t seem like there’s much winter left.

Now the other day it was warm enough that I opened her up to air to dry everything out well and I looked it over as well as I could with only the side covers and hood off. I noticed the fuse box and ability to see it unrestricted. Was there suppose to be a cover protecting all the fuses? Even a car has a cover but here It is naked.

Back to the running. After the dry up the next day I took her down to the lake again. Started it up, it ran strong at high warmup idle, backed out normal and drove strong for the trip to the shack where I then turned it off. Later I restarted it drove back to trailer it no problem. If there was anything to notice throughout this test then at idle if I listened long enough I might hear a slight miss every once in a while.

I’m going to run some fuel injector cleaner through it this coming weekend, stay out of deep powder and watch any symptoms carefully. Will update after weekend. Btw I am running premium fuel in it as recommended. Mind you it likely has up to 10% max ethanol in it as our gas seems to have it almost universally. But that means I don’t need to add any gas line antifreeze either.

Thanks, I’ll definitely look at adjusting the valves when I go over it thoroughly as spring approaches - since based on the weather it doesn’t seem like there’s much winter left.

Now the other day it was warm enough that I opened her up to air to dry everything out well and I looked it over as well as I could with only the side covers and hood off. I noticed the fuse box and ability to see it unrestricted. Was there suppose to be a cover protecting all the fuses? Even a car has a cover but here It is naked.

Back to the running. After the dry up the next day I took her down to the lake again. Started it up, it ran strong at high warmup idle, backed out normal and drove strong for the trip to the shack where I then turned it off. Later I restarted it drove back to trailer it no problem. If there was anything to notice throughout this test then at idle if I listened long enough I might hear a slight miss every once in a while.

I’m going to run some fuel injector cleaner through it this coming weekend, stay out of deep powder and watch any symptoms carefully. Will update after weekend. Btw I am running premium fuel in it as recommended. Mind you it likely has up to 10% max ethanol in it as our gas seems to have it almost universally. But that means I don’t need to add any gas line antifreeze either.
Yea there should be a cover on that fuse box. Also that sounds more like bad fuel and maybe new plugs my fix.

Be sure that all hoses are reconnected properly. There are several on the air box and the vacuum sensors.

the phazer in my sig like to act like it is a turbo sled. we have to add a cap full of k100 to every tank of gas for it to run right. it has broken the wires off in the plug for the coils but looked fine until disassembled. gets bitchy when it gets hot. always run highest octane gas we can get.

Back