• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GPS recommendations please

Z-Rider

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 RX-1
2007 Phazer Mountain Lite
Looking for recommendations for a dash mounted GPS for my 2006 Nytro

Any info including mounting options would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Are you a GPS savvy user looking to use existing GPS tools (e.g. basecamp, Gaia, etc) or are you looking for up to date trail info and just want a GPS to stay on track?

The later is all I am after

Trail info and ability to save tracks for future trips

I have a Garmin Montana GPS that uses VV Mapping snowmobile to provide trail info. The Garmin itself can be configured to auto save your daily tracks. However, what @earthling was eluding to, you will more than likely still need to use Garmin's Basecamp software, which is free to download and install, so that you can then use it to import the VV Mapping trail maps to your GPS as well as export your daily tracks from your GPS via Basecamp so that you can then use Basecamp to play back your track and save off portions of your trip versus the entire day's route.

As someone who has worked extensively with GPS I honestly can't be bothered most of the time to do anything other than pull out a phone and just use one of the many trail map apps. In many ways, a phone is far more powerful but there are a few limitations.

A real, dedicated GPS will be more robust, easier to read most of the time (but not by a lot), and in general more accurate than just a phone.

A phone will be far more flexible, as you can, whenever you are connected, import data live and get additional information that isn't available on the trail with a GPS. Most of the time I just use a spare phone. I bought an iphone 10 (or maybe 11) that had been sold cheap because it is at 80% battery life, otherwise it works fine. I keep it on a quad lock on the handlebars of my ATV. I synch it as a second device to my Cardo Packatalk. It has no cell plan, it is hot-spotted to my daily phone (Iphone 14) which is in a waterproof case on the rack or in my jacket pocket on the sled.

I find the cell phone to be robust enough for most riding, and the flexibility is a big improvement over a GPS. IF however I was headed deep into a forest the GPS has better reception and that little bit of extra robust build quality is worth it. In the winter I replace the phone with an ipad - mini which is on the dash of the sled. That works really well but same strengths/weakness compared to a GPS.

On the ATV I use a bar mount RAM 2" extension on 1" ball mounts on either end, a quadlock anti-vibration mount, and the matching quadlock case on the phone. I have what quadlock calls a poncho which can slip over the phone if it is seriously wet out but I have had the phone literally covered in thick mud and just wiped it off with my glove without any issues. Power comes from an SAE to USB charger cable and there is a dedicated lightning cable for this setup and the two below.

On the sled I have a custom made mount with an ipad mini 5. You can see it here.

On the motorcycle I run the same setup as the ATV.

What really keeps me coming back to the phone is the integration with voice commands through the cardo packtalk. It is simply a game changer.

Last edited:
Obvisously, the location your primarily ride needs to be factored into what decision you go with but I can tell you with certainity that there are parts of the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, which is my primary location, that a cellular device would not cut it due to lack of reception/service.

Obvisously, the location your primarily ride needs to be factored into what decision you go with but I can tell you with certainity that there are parts of the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, which is my primary location, that a cellular device would not cut it due to lack of reception/service.
Our primary riding area is the UP and northwest lower

I figured cell devices would not be a good idea for that reason

Our primary riding area is the UP and northwest lower

I figured cell devices would not be a good idea for that reason

and @RobX-1

Cell phones DO NOT require cellular service to provide GPS. As in my example above, my spare phone has no cell plan at all. The fact that it is hot-spotted into my other phone is just a way for me to get to a network when one is available. Trust me, much of the area we ride in has no cell service at all.

All of the GPS navigation apps for phones support 'offline' use. This means you have downloaded the latest map from the website, and even when your phone is outside the service area, you still can use GPS. Even google maps does this.

Last edited:
I use the BRP Go app on an Android tablet. It's mounted into a case that I mounted onto the fairing above the speedo. It's a pretty good app, shows trail status and can give directions as well as logging. The tablet used to have a data plan but I can use it with my phone's hotspot for data but you can download as large an area as needed in advance. Because of this app, I don't pay for the lame and buggy OFSC app.

and @RobX-1

Cell phones DO NOT require cellular service to provide GPS.
Then maybe its the apps themselves as I have Polaris' Ride Command app as well as BRP's GO app on my iPhone and when I had no cellular coverage, I'm pretty sure the apps displayed a message indicating it was unable to determine my location and why I prefer my Montana gps.

Guess I never took the time to locate that feature but just did now and do see the option to do so. Thanks.

Back