• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handwarmer Issue

Vmax4

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 FXNytro MTX 162 SE with a 270 hp MCX Turbo and assorted goodies!
Last trip out the engine light came on and is flashing engine code 81. I tried to go into the diagnostics and clear the code, but the down part of the blue hand/thumb warmer switch doesn't work. Up works just fine and adjusts the thumb warmer. Down does nothing.

I get resistance when checking the thumb warmer, and I have power to the thumb warmer when the sled is running.

I DO NOT get any resistance in either hand warmer and no power to the connectors in the wiring harness headed to the hand warmers.

I had a massive powder day and spent most of the day and a tank of gas wide open on my MCXpress 270 nytro. The handwarmers got what seemed warmer than normal (Dare I say they have sucked since new), then on the trail on the way out, the engine code came up.

Wondering if I just need to replace the handwarmers? Is there an issue with my blue toggle switch? Do I have an issue elsewhere with no power going to the quick connects of the hand warmers?

Sled is a 2010 FXNytro MTX

Anyone with some trouble shooting knowledge? Before I buy a replacement set of hot grips, I want to see if I am on the right track.

Would no resistance in the hand warmers cause the blue toggle switch to not work? Or am I chasing a gremlin. I don't want to replace warmers, and then find out the toggle is the issue, or worse the ECU or some chunk of wiring in the harness. What has me concerned is the blue toggle not working when pressed down (Heat Grip Position) and the fact I can not get a test light to light on the harness running to the grips. Anyone with trouble shooting experience on this one been in this position before?

Check for resistance with an ohm meter on the element plugs inside the rubber boots under your headlight. They both should be pretty much the same. This is your first step imo. Little two wire black plugs. Heavy revving in the deep will get them hotter and if your grips are loose at all it very well could be two burnt elements. On my 09, there is no temperature down toggle. Only hotter until it gets to the top then starts over. One way is thumb and other is grips. Not sure if newer Nytros are different.

Check for resistance with an ohm meter on the element plugs inside the rubber boots under your headlight. They both should be pretty much the same. This is your first step imo. Little two wire black plugs. Heavy revving in the deep will get them hotter and if your grips are loose at all it very well could be two burnt elements. On my 09, there is no temperature down toggle. Only hotter until it gets to the top then starts over. One way is thumb and other is grips. Not sure if newer Nytros are different.

My 2012 is the same way you have to press up until full heat then it goes to 0 and starts going up as you press it again top of switch is thumb and bottom is grip I believe.

Pete

Here
Grip1.PNG
you go.

What I was saying is, when you press the toggle down (hand warmer is suppose to change) nothing happens. I also get no resistance at all on the hand warmers. I also don't get any voltage (via a test light) from the connections headed to the hand warmers when the sled is currently running. Want to make sure I only have a hand warmer issue and not more.

What part numbers do I buy to replace the hand warmers? Is there a kit, or do I buy the two different part numbers from the parts fiche? It looks like there is a left and a right part number?

When you change the thumb or grip switch to increase or decrease heat the signal from those switches go to the ECU which then sends a voltage signal to the heaters. If your reading an open (0 resistance) on your heaters they are bad or there is a broken wire or possibly you have a bad ground!

Pete

Just noticed the hand warmers are in a three wire connector where there are actually only 2 wires. Does the new RSI or Stock Yamaha replacement warmers have 3 wires? Assuming this is what people have been talking about whether it is OK to wire the high/low sides together?

Do people just replace with the 3 wire set and only use the 2 wire one heat setting?

@herndonp When I test the hand warmers with a continuity tester, there is none on either hand warmer. My only concern is, the blue toggle hand warmer position sends nothing. I can't even clear the CODE 81 by pressing the down button (Hand Warmer Side). Just want to make sure I am not replacing hand warmers to find something else got fried?

Check the black wires (grounds) to make sure you see them with your meter to ground ( ground one lead of meter and probe black wire of connector (not connector going to grip the other that plugs into it and is coming from the ECU) you should see continuity! If you don't you have a grounding issue. If you measured the grip side plug across the connector and got no continuity then bad grip. So you would not be able to clear the code because the ECU does not see the resistance of the grip therefore code 81.

Pete

Here is how to test your switch. Hopefully this will ease your mind on the switch part working. Hope this helps and best of luck. Please let us know what you find.

Pete

Griptest1.PNG

@herndonp I checked for ground on the harness and that tested good. I get no continuity when testing the toggle switch, but that seems weird cause the thumb warmer switch part works........

Back