• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone raced an 800r?

DoktorC said:
Dan, the ecu mods or a Power Commander and ingition control have shown good gains on the Apex. Ignition timing works the same 4s or 2s. The 2s just make more gains because of it. 10-15hp is quite conservative IMHO from the XPs, the 600's run right with an Apex on the grass but obviously that's not the case out on the trail. It's impossible to compare full blown race sleds to what you'll see on the trail regardless of the hp..they're tuned by the best and everything that can be changed (within the rules) is changed.

I'm sure the 800r will be a very fast sled...but for how long..who cares lol. I only ride with Yamaha's ;).
I heard with a head, porting, reeds and timing and the XP is 172hp. Lots of room, there. I also hear there is alot left on the table as far as clutching is concerned. 4-5mph more on top, just from that.

Interesting….I was always under the assumption that you needed to change the cam to change the timing. Kind of baffles me on how you can change the ignition/timing and not change the timing of the valves at the same time. Guess if its works, it works!

Dano, Call Ulmer, he has some great info on how it all works.

From the post below, it looks like the Nytro AND Apex are going to have big trouble with the 800R.
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/i ... pic=278007

QUOTE(prox600rider @ Nov 27 2007, 08:25 PM) *
hey, if that was a Nytro i seen in one of those pictures on your video. How did that compete with the new 800R?QUOTE

Honestly, it doesn't. it's heavier for sure and not even in the same ball park as far as speed goes.

he did use $2 less fuel than i did at one fill up.

the nytro is fun to ride but it's comparing apples and grapefruits if you ask me....

Would you expect an apex or a nytro to be even close? Honestly the 800r is the same hp as the apex but 115lbs lighter than my rtx dry. It is also lighter than the nytro too. I would expect a 600 xp to give the nytro trouble because its so light. They may be fast and they may ride and handle nice, but it stops there. Ski-doo's are not reliable and the xp's durability has yet to be proven.

That video proves nothing and who races in 2 feet of powder. Give me a break.

I started this topic and still no one has raced one on hard pack all assumptions. I was on Doo Talk and if you read what Mainecorrado wrote he said when he was with an apex it was like it was tied to a tree and smoked an f1000. Then in his vid you see a Nitro and Nothing said? This is the same guy that was on the hardcore sledder Topic. If you read what he said on Doo Talk after someone asked how the Nitro went Mainecorrado stated it had low end grunt like he never seen, but the ski's were light in the corners (set up?). No actual actual statements on how it did against the R? Maybe he didn't want to comment on that? Maybe he got beat? Who knows. All I know is i still haven't heard how the Nitro matches up Head to head. Dragging 600 ft, 1000ft, or longer. Nor in the twisties.

Well, this afternoon I'll probably settle the question depending on temps here. ( If not for sure on the weekend) .I'll be headed out with a 137 version of the 800r. His with 150 miles on it and mine with 25. Both stock outta the box. It'll give you an idea anyways.

Topgun said:
Well, this afternoon I'll probably settle the question depending on temps here. ( If not for sure on the weekend) .I'll be headed out with a 137 version of the 800r. His with 150 miles on it and mine with 25. Both stock outta the box. It'll give you an idea anyways.

Nice, I am anxious to hear about it. Finally we should get hopefully an unbiased opinion. Good luck to both of you.

Topgun try amd get as many miles on your FX Nytro BEFORE you actually race him!!

I noticed my sled moved out better after about 50 miles and then even a bit more around 200 miles!

Learn how to launch your sled well!!!!!! You'll want to only carry your skis a foot or less off the snow!! Position your feet where ever they need to be to make this happen.... For me in hard packed snow this is about 8 inches from all the way forward.. arms fully extended and ready to move forward as the sled starts moving!

THen race him a few tims from a roll

Say from 20mph, 40mph, and 60mph.

After playing with mine and some other sleds, I have learned the FX Nytro is NOT as easy to get a great launch as some other sleds... (either skies the skis or blows the track away!!) Once you figure what works for you and your trail conditions, you'll have a MUCH better chance!! From a roll is MUCH easier to get our sleds moving!! My guess is yo have the best results racing from 20mph!! Keep your distance short and the RTX is geared lower so WILL NOT TOP END the doo..... (end the race before he can use this speed!)

A couple things to see if you can do:

*Make sure your track is tight enough NOT to ratchet!
*IF you can run min fuel in your tank that might help.
*Suspension set up is more towards individual tastes I perfer min weight transfer to keep the skis closer t the ground.
* IF you find it hard to keep from just blowing the track away... concentrate HARD on pushing the throttle SLOWER! and wait until you have moved a few feet before going wide open!

08NitroRTX said:
Topgun try amd get as many miles on your FX Nytro BEFORE you actually race him!!

I noticed my sled moved out better after about 50 miles and then even a bit more around 200 miles!

Learn how to launch your sled well!!!!!! You'll want to only carry your skis a foot or less off the snow!! Position your feet where ever they need to be to make this happen.... For me in hard packed snow this is about 8 inches from all the way forward.. arms fully extended and ready to move forward as the sled starts moving!

THen race him a few tims from a roll

Say from 20mph, 40mph, and 60mph.

After playing with mine and some other sleds, I have learned the FX Nytro is NOT as easy to get a great launch as some other sleds... (either skies the skis or blows the track away!!) Once you figure what works for you and your trail conditions, you'll have a MUCH better chance!! From a roll is MUCH easier to get our sleds moving!! My guess is yo have the best results racing from 20mph!! Keep your distance short and the RTX is geared lower so WILL NOT TOP END the doo..... (end the race before he can use this speed!)

A couple things to see if you can do:

*Make sure your track is tight enough NOT to ratchet!
*IF you can run min fuel in your tank that might help.
*Suspension set up is more towards individual tastes I perfer min weight transfer to keep the skis closer t the ground.
* IF you find it hard to keep from just blowing the track away... concentrate HARD on pushing the throttle SLOWER! and wait until you have moved a few feet before going wide open!

Excellant advise, when you say the rtx is geared lower. is it actually geared lower than the Standard FX nitro I have? I watched some grass drags this year in Epping NH and the rtx made the 800 doo's look like they were tied to a tree. Granted they were not 800R's I will be on mine for the 1st time Hopefully Monday / Tuesday. I really don't want to launch it for the 1st time in the grass. I will be riding w/ my Buddies renagade 800x package and I will let you know how I do. I know I will be putting @ least 100 miles before I will line up w/ him. I will be breaking it in like I broke in Mama's 07 Phazer fx last year WFO short bursts and always varieng the throttle. Her Phazer w/ 750 miles. W/ me on it running across Moosehead last year I saw 96 mph on the dream meter. I weigh 225 unclothed. So I guess the way I broke in that sled for her was right and I will do the same w/ my FX Nitro. ;)! :-o

Back