• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Head gasket

Over heat is the number one killer of head gaskets.

My 2018 Vector over heated on me while I was working on it adj. the track alignment in the summer. I am not sure if it just ran out of the over flow tube under the engine or did I blow the head gasket. I refilled the coolant on the bottle but probably put too much in & when I warmed it up on my 1st ride this year it leaked again. How can I tell if I blew the head gasket. What to look for. I ran the machine for 3 days & put on about 300 miles. Every time i stop I looked to see if there was any blue antifreeze under the belly pan dripping on thre ground but there wasn't any. You thoughts

My 2018 Vector over heated on me while I was working on it adj. the track alignment in the summer. I am not sure if it just ran out of the over flow tube under the engine or did I blow the head gasket. I refilled the coolant on the bottle but probably put too much in & when I warmed it up on my 1st ride this year it leaked again. How can I tell if I blew the head gasket. What to look for. I ran the machine for 3 days & put on about 300 miles. Every time i stop I looked to see if there was any blue antifreeze under the belly pan dripping on thre ground but there wasn't any. You thoughts

You wont blow a head gasket overheating on the stand checking track tension. I told you this before. You ran it for 300 miles and no problems, I would say its fine and you are overly paranoid.

Make sure the coolant is at the proper level. Run the sled up to operating temp on your stand. Shut it off. If you have a bad gasket or seal it will should show itself at this point.

ran quite a few sleds to heat shut down with no issues.

if i have disturbed the cooling system, replaced/removed line or coolant swap, i check level after next 3 rides. top it off after 1st one. might need a splash after 2nd one but not usually. after 3rd is just to confirm that level is there.

ran quite a few sleds to heat shut down with no issues.

if i have disturbed the cooling system, replaced/removed line or coolant swap, i check level after next 3 rides. top it off after 1st one. might need a splash after 2nd one but not usually. after 3rd is just to confirm that level is there.

Thank's everyone for all the information.

The only time I've seen a head gasket fail is if it has been overheated WITHOUT coolant. Even then, it is up for debate that the head gasket is the issue, as the head and/or block start to distort quickly when ran, and overheated without coolant in them.
IMO, overheating a Yamaha with coolant in it to the point that it shuts itself down will never cause a head gasket failure.(unless it was a case of detonation)
The reason that in some cases they sometimes over heat to the point of head gasket failure(or head warpage) is because the coolant sensor needs coolant against it to function properly. When that happens, the sled doesn't shut itself off.

Back