• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmet Suggestions?

xprtrpr

Extreme
FYI, I have STFA and haven't found what I needed. If you know of a past post that covers this please direct me...

I am looking for your personal opinion on a helmet for me. I think I am looking to get a modular helmet, and my sled has a hookup for an electric shield. We will be hooking up headphones into this helmet too...

Here are the restrictions...
1. Would prefer to have the price around $200 or cheaper (I realize that you shouldn't go cheap on something to protect your head, but I refuse to believe you have to pay $300 for the "best" protection.) Now if you disagree I will entertain any thoughts.

2. I wear glasses, this helmet will have to be somewhat comfortable for my glasses.

That's about it. I truly appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks in advance.

I'd stay away from Modular. I tried one last year and did not like it. Not to mention they do not offer a level of protection in an accident that a normal full face helmet does. Look HJC, can't beat the price or comfort.

Thanks

madforR1s said:
I have an HJC CLMax modular. It is comfortable and works great with glasses. Good price and solid build IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestion, I like the price ;-) As a fellow glasses wearer, have you found a need for an electric shield?

You may very well be happy with some of the helmets suggested. However, the BV2S is the top of the line. I know you didn't want to get up in the $300 plus range, but, you do get what you pay for. Your breath is exhausted well (excellent for a person with glasses), it's warm, comfortable, compatible with communication systems, has a flip down sunglasses feature and a rear safety light. The sunglass feature is excellent! Once you have it you'll never go back to riding without it. Just my opinion, good luck with your choice.

check out the new semi modular from cat, very cool with built in LED's and a sun visor. Has a solid chin bar. (the cat stickers come off)

I purchased the ski-doo modular with heated sheild several years ago and love it. Two of my riding buddies have the BV2S and do NOT like them. I asked my dealer a few weeks ago and he said that they could not keep them in stock the first year as they were new. But this year has has sold none and still has some of last years stock on the shelf. He said that everyone is going back to the origianl modular helmet and has not even ordered this years BV2S. I know there are some companies that have made there own modular and are cheeper then the doo version I cant speak for them but I like mine. It is nice to be able to just raise your face sheild to talk, smoke or whatever without removing the helmet completely.

I have the original modular helmet and I find that it suffers from air leaks onto your face and eyes...I have gotten mild frost bite on my checks and some of my buds who have the helment complain of the same or watery eyes...I bought a cat TXI helmet (all black w/no stickers) for $235. Very warm and quiet but a narrow veiw compared to the modular ;)!

Before the advent of the modular - there was nothing to keep my glasses from getting fogged, then iced-up, and having to ride with a non-functioning, partially opened face shield. I ended up with dozens of anti-fog products and neoprene face masks to try and solve the problem. The only way I solved this problem was to get contacts. I realize it's not an option for everyone, so I would definitely get something that can seal your mouth and nose exhaust from the inside of the helmet, venting it directly to the outside.

IMHO: The ski-doo modulars are top-shelf for that, and worth the extra $$$. I personally do not have one, but I have borrowed one on several trips and I like the ability to flip the lid so I can easily talk, or drink, and eat food. And because the face shields do not easily fog, there's a good chance that your glasses won't either.

If you want to not fog and freeze, go open face and goggles. It costs less money, you stay warmer, and NEVER fog. I have ridden -20s and you never fog Gogles stay warm when on your face.

Pro-Vue makes persription gogles for around $100 I think, and you can get a good open face (I recomend the HJC CL series) for $$125. You will thank me!

If you decide to buy a Yamaha helmet, you must check out Port Yamaha's online deals. I don't know about any current deals (haven't checked lately) but I do know we have bought quite a few through them for less than 1/2 of what our local dealers were selling for !! I think they have pre and post season sales, wicked deals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Rockon:

Back