• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help- Clunking sound under Yamaha Attak?

rindtj

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Okay, so I was out riding after the 2.5 inch DUMPING hear last night...lol. On take-off there was a sort of clunking sound under the engine. First thought was maybe the track was slipping and too loose. Chain maybe, but it was only when I really punched it. Any other ideas/experiences?

Thanks

Sounds like track ratchet f it happens from a holeshot. Just tighten the track.

We were thinking track ratchet too.

It is the mono, but the transfer rod looks fine? What would happen to it? It only happens when I pop the skis, transfer rod is only set at one graduation toward max from neutral

clunking

you probably would only hear the transfer rod when going slow over bumps. if it is when you crack it and wheely with good traction it would be the track slipping.

At any rate, you can usually hear and FEEL a ratchet, the transfer thing is mostly just a noise you hear. Which applies to you?

KnappAttack said:
Sounds like track ratchet f it happens from a holeshot. Just tighten the track.

if only at take off, I bet this is your culprit. Did you just put new dually carbides on by any chance? If youir skis are gripping/digging in then sometimes the track slipping is less resistance then moving the sled, if you catch my drift.....

worse case scenario could be from the chaincase if a bearing is starting to let go or gone, which loosens the chain up to skip. Regardless, you can usually narrow it down by the feel of the clunk, whether it be felt through tunnel or bars.

Dan

Thanks for all the advice, will be checking all three of the suggestions, crossing my fingers hoping its just the ratchet..

my attak ratcheted all the time when traction was good and the skis pulled. no matter how tight the track i would get it on takeoff. i ended going to antiratchet drivers but even then, with good hookup, i would still ratchet. problem imho is the approach angle. it is no longer a problem to me, as i went to a sc4 suspension, and i can now run my track a lot looser.

I thought I read lot's of post's in the past on this subject. The transfer rod is on the top of my list. Normal for our machine. I get the same thing going over moguals slow. Been this way since new. Got 5k miles now and suspension is still good so don't sweat it yet. Take some time and search to isolate it more.

Guys, remember he said it clunks on take off. I'd bet dollars to donuts its the track ratcheting.

Fixes are tightening the track or switching to extro drivers.

more info needed. it appears a track ratchet to me as i earlier said, but, 2.5" on takeoff, ?????
Did it hook up solid, lift skis in air-------------if so, track ratchet, if not, another problem.

2.5 inches of snow, skis were about two feet off the ground. I would say it is the ratchet. Getting a scale this week to check how tight the track is. Thanks guys.

Back