• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help convince me to buy an FX Nytro

The other way to think about this is that $3000 will buy alot of stuff for the Nytro. Skis, and a ZX2 rear suspension that you can take to the next sled, off the top of my head. Just some food for thought.

wigman1 said:
Hey Stout: BUY THE NYTRO. If you have any trouble with the sled, the dealer will take care of it. I have o an '08. and the Nytro will massacre a Dragon, or any other 800 class sled, except if you are running over 1/4 mile or so. You will jump over 10 lengths out of the hole and you will pull away until you reach top end, around 95-98mph. After awhile, the 800 class sleds will catch you, and maybe pass you, but that is only after a lonngggg distance. The only stock sleds that have beat my Nytro in 1/4 mile are my '07 Apex and a friend's 1000cc Cat - except long distances like I said. These things are unbelievable out of the hole. $7500 is a steal, grab it while you can, you will not regret it!! Wig

I want a pair of your glasses!

Crewchief is right a FX Nytro & $3000 is an impressive package!

I did some research on the Drag as I'm sled less now. I read in alot of places the Dragon is really hard on fuel. I heard between 12-14mpg hard. I pm'd a few owners on HCS and not many of them are really that impressed. THe Nytro out of the hole is hard to beat. Top end is another stroy. Get a leftover 08 with the updated subframe and you will be rocking.

ride -4-fun said:
i cant really say your going to like it or not ,you really have to ride it and find out for yourself.. everyone likes different things and rides different ways.. all i can say coming from a poo I LOVE MY NYTRO.. alot of people dont like the inside ski lift ,but i like it ..

stoutner , last year by chance at a fall grass drag was it you i let ride my sled at the end of track ??? i rode a apex that had juice and i think it might have been your's ...

anyways i'm racing my fx nytro at nyirp on asphalt and love it .making the best of it and using it all year ...... best so far 11.13 but need to change clutching to get into the 10's and that's STOCK ......
It wasn't me at the grass drags. I actually have never been to a grass drags...not even the one in the town where I live. I will go next time they have it though.

I ran my sled at NYIRP twice this year and once at ESTA until I blew it up. Not sure if i'll run my Apex next year or not.

glmf said:
Do you really think if you get the Dragon you are going to leave it totally stock? Think your kidding yourself there, as like me, it sounds like you can leave nothing alone. Yes the 08 nytro needs some tweaking but the foundation is solid. The chassis is the most comfortable truly rider forward sled I have ridden/owned. Work that price some more as stated and stay with team blue, you will be happier in the long run,,,,YMMV

O.K. I'm 90% sure i'm going with the Nytro at this point. I will definately change the skis and maybe add a little happy juice to it. Beyond that, I really don't want to dick around with it a lot. You are the first guy that I have heard say it is a comfortable riding sled. Maybe everyone thinks that but no one has said it. That is my biggest issue. I want to be riding and enjoying...not fighting it like I did my Apex when i had those crappy stock skis.

I'm not worried about speed and top end. I'm sure it will do everything i need it to do. If I want top end, I'll just throw a shot of nitrous at it and do some clutching. If the sled will truly do 90 mph on GPS (which I know it will), that is plenty fast enough.

Here's my .02. I ride a 07 RTX. I have ridden my buddies 07 Dragon 700, that sled is fast and pulls hard, very close to the Apex on the top. The sled is heavy in the front, probably due to set up but could be set up to rock. I like riding with minimal ski presssure, the Dragon was easier to run throught the trails than my RTX. My take on Polaris is that they are similiar to Yami in 1 respect, there 2 stroke engines are down on power as compared to Doo and Cat but ususally go for a while before needing a top end. The guys I ride with for at least 5-8K before thinking about rebuilding.

I have also spent sometime on a 08 Nytro RTX. I really like the sled, rode very similiar almost identical to my 03.5 Blair Morgan REV. I did not notice any of the ill handling that everyone complains about here, but I am not expecting a sled to handling like a Ferrari either. The sled pulls like a mother down low but falls on its face on the big end and does not keep pulling and pulling like the Apex. I attribute the lack of top end because of the missing gear reduction system on the Nytro. Maybe you could clutch or gear past this point?????

Overall,

I like my Apex and I am going to stay with it, suits my riding style prefect. I would not hesitate to buy a Nytro and I was going to buy one for the wife but she is working way to much to spend 8K for a sled that she will ride twice a year. I can't ever go back to adding oil and worring about the 2 stroke top end POP~!

PH

O.K. I'm 90% sure i'm going with the Nytro at this point.

here is that other 10 %

Attachments

• ty4stroke.gif
    ty4stroke.gif
    107.2 KB · Views: 86
Well, I hope I don't get bashed but I went with the '09 Dragon 800. My deal on the "cheap" 08 Nytro fell through so it came down to what sled I felt would fit my needs. prices were all comparable between the Nytro, Dragon, and 800R.

I think each of these sleds has their faults and frankly, I was sick of the few faults the Yamaha had that they refuse to fix at the factory level. Specifically the crappy skis and the sloppy front end steering. The front end heavy feeling does suck but I would deal with it.

I went with the Dragon because I don't think it will have those issues. I do understand that the milage will suck, the 2 smoke oil smells and is expensive, and the motor is not nearly as fun as the 4 stroke. But, I do think it will be a more comfortable fun riding sled that I don't have to "muscle" around all day.

I am going to keep the Nitrous Apex as a spare sled...use it for some lake racing and loan it out to friends without sleds.

I would of went with the XP800R, then the dragon.... It's on it's second year, with alot of things fixed from the 08's. 0-100 setup is tough to beat.

stoutner said:
Well, I hope I don't get bashed but I went with the '09 Dragon 800. My deal on the "cheap" 08 Nytro fell through so it came down to what sled I felt would fit my needs. prices were all comparable between the Nytro, Dragon, and 800R.

I think each of these sleds has their faults and frankly, I was sick of the few faults the Yamaha had that they refuse to fix at the factory level. Specifically the crappy skis and the sloppy front end steering. The front end heavy feeling does suck but I would deal with it.

I went with the Dragon because I don't think it will have those issues. I do understand that the milage will suck, the 2 smoke oil smells and is expensive, and the motor is not nearly as fun as the 4 stroke. But, I do think it will be a more comfortable fun riding sled that I don't have to "muscle" around all day.

I am going to keep the Nitrous Apex as a spare sled...use it for some lake racing and loan it out to friends without sleds.

buy some pistons and cylinders now. for as last year they had so many blow up that they were on back order for months. ditch the ridefx air 2/o. they are JUNK. the only way to adjust them is to take them off the sled and add or subtract nitrogen, which means you have to have the bottle and filler needle with regulator. they also have bad inside ski lift. and just dont handle bigger jumps without bottoming out bad on the belly.(most likely do to the front junk 2/0s) oh and they foul plugs out like its they re job. so when you first fire it up. let it run on the trailer for a bit before you put it in reverse or youll cold foul. sorry but i worked at a yamaha/polaris dealership as head tech for two years. good luck. maybe they got their heads out of their asses for 09. but the 08 were nightmares:letsnow:

Back