• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HELP with RX1

rezmobile

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha rx-1
When I turn key I could hear the battery go and smell gas but it won’t start, any suggestions on what the problem might be?

RX-1's are not fuel injected so not sure why just turning the key would cause gas to be smelled. Furthermore, what do you mean you can hear the battery go? Did you mean to state that when you turn the key and the starter attempts to turn over the engine, it does not start and that is when you smell gas?

Knowing the history of the carbs of the RX-1, I am going to start off by suggesting the carbs need to be cleaned. They use small pilot jets that easily get plogged and just spraying carb cleaner down the throats of the carbs is not sufficient, you need to disassemble, soak/clean the jets individualluy.

Yeah that’s what I mean and okay I shall clean the carbs

And I get the smell of gas when turning the key coming from the fuel pump I believe that’s what it is

Some clean the carbs without removing the rack but I always found them easier to clean working on the bench. As you can see, the jets are very small and does not take much to clog them or for tarnish to build up:

Jets.JPG

I think I might be missing one of these clear tubes and the tube for the air box
IMG_7101.jpeg
IMG_7102.jpeg

Both of those two tubes, the one on the carb and the one on the bottom of the air box, just vent to outside so, if anything, just get new sections of hoses to replace but do not think it's causing your no-start.

Okay so must be the carbs then, I’ll clean those and see if that works. Thanks for all the help

And I get the smell of gas when turning the key coming from the fuel pump I believe that’s what it is
If for some reason your fuel pumps are leaking, I've used this kit to rebuild the ones in my RX-1; Yamaha does not offer just the gasket kit.

Back