• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hesitation question.

Think_Again

Extreme
Ok, I have been running my '04 RX-1 for 500 miles this season, everything was just fine... then this last trip it started to spit at me... so I drained the gas.. and found some water... so I ran dry gas in it... then got new gas... and new plugs... The old plugs were jet black... and wet with fuel (indicating a rich condidtion correct?) Well I ran the sled again.. for about 30 miles, and it started back firing, and just was dead in the mid range. It took several seconds of full throttle before the sled would come alive and then it seemed ok, and this did this everytime that I asked the sled to accelerate from 20-25 mph. I was reading in the manual and it says that contions can be caused by running to lean, or a loose pilot Jet. The lean condition doesn't seem to make sense to me since the plugs were black... and yes the new ones were black also after that short run. Anyone have any ideas what to check? Do I have to pull the carbs? My guess is it must be something that the water caused... as it was running just fine... but I don't know.... Any suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

Oh and PS... I'd like to ride by Friday... :Rockon:

If you have had water in the tank, then you probably have some water in the carbs/bowls also.
I suspect carbs/bowls would have to be drained at a minimum (should be able to get at without removing carbs - just airbox - use some old rags to drain into/onto instead of trying to catch the fuel in a small jar. It's either a 5mm or 6mm allen I think). Your probably sucking up a little bit of water evertime your running on the mains. Drain once, start the sled up, run for a couple of miles, drain again, then I would think the whole system should be cleared of water (tank - which you have done twice, lines, bowls). If there is still hesitation - then your jets could be plugged, but given it has run for 500 miles this season I would think this should not be the case. If it was one jet loose - then your plug would be a different colour than the other three (highly unlikley all 4 would come loose).

The water will just seperate from the fuel and sit at the bottom (i.e think?) of the bowls. Some throttle "sweet" spots will mix in this small amount of water and cause the hestiation. Idling and possibly full throttle - the water sitting in the bowls won't be in line of the jets to be picked up, and the sled will run fine (though will still be there).
Run some isopropyl or sea foam also for the next tank (some run de-icers always) as water in the tank can happen when you least expected (i.e even at a reputable fuel stop).

Twice I have washed under my hood and the water ruined the starter relay causing a very similar condition. Have you washed under your hood with a hose or pressure washer? Definately run a bottle O dry gas through it regardless

OK, nothing has worked. Dry gas.. nothing.

Tried dry gas... drained the tanks, drained the floats, and not it runs worse... a lot worse. And now the plugs are white... so now I'm lean... wtf... I did nothing other than dry gas and drain the bowls... ANy other ideas?

OK, only thing with that is dealers are dog a$$ slow here this time of year... and the nearest is over 1.5 hours away... But.. I will do that if need be... any other suggestions?

OK, de-iced the sled.. setting in a heated garage... And drained everythign again.. now it has a slight hesitation, and then no power... None.. it will not pull 30... I was better off before... any help?

Spark coils? Did any of your plug tips have marks on the threads that looked like somebody took a few strokes over them with a hacksaw? There is a Yammie Bulletin (specific to '03) but my 04 Warrior had all four plugs with very noticeable tip damage. (Original plugs w/6000mi). Problem is the connector in the coil riding on the tip. Newer valve cover has straps that keep coils movement to a min.

If you are SURE your carbs are OK then it is worth checking. I would be tempted to remove the carb cluster and remove the bowls to do a complete visual of the INSIDE. It doesn't take much to have jet issues if they aren't hospital clean.

Best of Luck. Let us know how you make out

Have you ever cleaned the carbs completely before?
don't know if draining the bowls has dislodged any build-up, and now it is caught up in a main jet (but all 4 in order for you to not get over 30?)?

Have you done any changes to the bars recently (which could be kicking in TORs?). mmmkokanee may be onto something. A quick disconnect could rule this out.

I would take a read at this post for cleaning carbs, and possible throttle cable issues" (or do a search for TORS under RX section)
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=37559&start=0

I have had the carbs totally apart, and cleaned the jets very well.. they were clogged some.. and it improved things but not much... still not topping out. I will check the spark plack coils. And I will check the cable.. Thanks for the advice... and keep it coming.

I feel your pain

I am having this exact problem. It started the first time I rode the year. Mine runs ok up to 5800 RPM then runs rough up to 6800 RPM. In this range I can hear it backfiring in the airbox. When I go to full throttle there is a couple second bog/hesitation then it cleans itself out and hums just fine. I called a service shop and they said it sounded like it was lean. I have pulled the plugs and they are black and fairly wet. I am also getting 16 MPG. I have run a full tank through it with seafoam and nothing. Now I have it in a heated garage with iso in it. I hope we can figure it out. I am at a loss.

Also it has been very hard to start in the morning. Once I finally got it to run this morning after warming up for a while it would die. Then it only started with full choke and 1/3 throttle. When you let off the gas it would die and if you went to full throttle there would be no change. That happene a few times.

Back