• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hid lites... Whats everyone running for temp(K) /color?

swmpr1

Extreme
just wondering what everyone is running or thinks is a good temp / color for snow? what shows up best and gives the best amount of light, dont want to get into what brand is better, just what shows up best.

thanks

swmpr1 said:
just wondering what everyone is running or thinks is a good temp / color for snow? what shows up best and gives the best amount of light, dont want to get into what brand is better, just what shows up best.

thanks

Low kelvin rating is better for use in snow, I run 4300k in mine as well as my two other buddies, I had used 6000k in a different sled and it was to blue/white for snow, the company I deal with only goes down to 4300k, but I have seen 3300k in the market place. Beware of "cheap" kits, the last thing you want when your 150 miles from your cabin/home is for your lights to take a #*^% and no way to see in the dark, most of the time you get what you pay for. I just did a set on a 07 Apex last night and the one thing to remember is make you fuse for these lights acessable, and bring extra fuses with you on a ride, I extended the fuse holder out to the jump start leads on the Apex so It was minimal efort to get to them. We also are going to carry extra headlight bulbs with us (just incase).

;)!

From last seasons experience the nytro headlight housing doesn't throw the light very well, it tends to produce alot of shadows with the HID's. Once you hit the snow you will see what I mean, yeah they are bright but they do not project the light nearly as far as the halogen.

I had 6000K in my Viper and liked them and now they are in my Nytro. I am sure the result is the going to be the same but you never know.

TurboJamie said:
From last seasons experience the nytro headlight housing doesn't throw the light very well, it tends to produce alot of shadows with the HID's. Once you hit the snow you will see what I mean, yeah they are bright but they do not project the light nearly as far as the halogen.

Did yo remove the bulb reflectors that come on the HID's? Mine came with the chrome reflector caps but they were remove as the stock bulbs/housings did not have them. We tested the Apex I did last night with and without them and it was a HUGE difference.

TurboJamie said:

Damn that is not the answer I was looking for. lol

The reflector caps help in reflecting the light backwards to use your stock housing as a projector, the kit we used last season did not have the reflectors and didn't work well on the nytro. Perhapse if the kit we used had the reflectors we would have had better results. I didn't learn about the reflectors until this season which I used them on my doo and they are bright and project far.

TurboJamie said:

Let me understand what your saying....Are you saying with the Std lights on the FX Nytro will be able to see further at higher speeds than the HID's??? I don't want HID to be Cool, but to see much further down the lake!

Had my nytro out yesterday for the first time and the lights on them were the brightest I have seen on a sled. Alot more than my 08 XP 800 X

TurboJamie said:

yeah, i know what you mean, that light beam is very narrow. it would be nice to run both beams at once to make it a taller area with more coverage. but i dont think oncoming traffic at nite would like that. and hid's for the cool factor isnt the issue here, needed a tad bit more lite so just tring to figure out the options and best route.

Daranello said:
TurboJamie said:

Let me understand what your saying....Are you saying with the Std lights on the FX Nytro will be able to see further at higher speeds than the HID's??? I don't want HID to be Cool, but to see much further down the lake!

The light output from the nytro's head lamp does not project well with an HID setup, they will not project farther then your halogen the nytro housing just does not lend its self well to the HID. My doo projects far with reflector caps on the HID bulbs, perhapse the nytro would benefit from these. You will find a straight HID bulb in the nytro to be a very narrow light band.

what are these reflector caps you speak of? and where would one get them?

I tested the caps on and off, it seemed to be better without, but with no snow and trails to ride I cant say for sure. If all goes well we will be heading to the U.P. on opening weekend so I will give a report after the weekend. Its going to be a test and tune trip so I will bring the caps with and try it both ways......hold tight.

Back