• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hook up heated sheild on a Warrior How?

buster

" :?: Can any one help tell me how and were to hook up the two wires, for a heated sheild, on my warrior.

when I hooked mine up on my 03, I used the blue(white stripe) and a black wire inside the handlebar pad. I need to look at it because it didn't seem to work as good as others I've had. I think it may have been the connectors I used. I got some garage time tomorrow at my brother in laws so I have a list of stuff to get done and thats one.

Use the blue/white before the brake light connection and ground to the chassie

I hooked mine directly to the battery jump start wires. Easiest place to access. I also have the accessory outlet for my GPS hooked to them. I like that location because I have constant power. If its a very cold day and you take a break, leave the helmet on your seat with the shield plugged in and it will stay defrosted. For wiring I didn't use the pigtail type that comes with most heated shields. I went to Radio Shack and bought a package of panel mount RCA plugs, and installed one on the left side of the tank cover. Just drill a 1/4" hole in a convenient location and install the plug. Most standard heated shields will plug right into it. Just run a pair of wires from the back of it to the battery wires. I've had mine on for around 2500 miles and haven't had a problem.

Jim

I hooked mine right up to the battery. It takes alittle more time to take everything off to access the battery but it is the cleanest installation. You can then route the wire back up along the frame with the factory wiring harness and you can even tell that it is there. Goodluck

I connected mine directly to the battery. Put in a inline fuse i got from NAPA, ran wire along frame on clutch side and secured with silver heat tape and connected to a dash mount plug-in (from skidoo). Just run hot wire to battery and ground to frame close to plug-in.

The Ski-Doo uses almost the same plug as Radio-Shack, except it costs around $25 for one instead of $3 for a pair. I'm a cheap bastard. ;-)

Jim

Above the right footwell is a fuse block. I connected to the blue striped wire that feeds the headlights. You can open the box and it labels the fuses to know which one. I took power there for both my shield and Temp gauge. I didn't like the idea of having a hot lead with the engine off.

I was happy to find out that having the constant hot leads didn't put any drain on my electrical system. I can leave the GPS powered up for several days without a problem, in fact I never found the limit...longest I left it on for was a week, and it started right up. With the heated shield plug installed the sled sat all summer without starting and fired right up this fall, without needing a jump. I wouldn't worry too much about constant live wires as long as they are low draw and have a fuse installed. Cars use lots of constant live circuits, and don't have problems. (I'm an auto technician, so I deal with wiring all the time).

Jim

I went directly to the battery then routed the wire with the headlight wiring. I drilled a hole in the hood in a flat area on the brake side. I bought a female solder type RCA connector from Radio Shack and mounted it to the drilled hole. I soldered the wires to the connector being careful to keep the wires from touching each other. I used shrink wrap and zip ties to secure the wires. I then used hot glue on the under side of the hood to keep the connections seal and safe from vibration. The electric shiel plugs right in and after I modified the ends of my trickle charger, it doubles as the trickle charger connection.

Back