• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Houghton TY Ride - Conditions?

MrSled said:
Mad Russian said:
Were the sleds getting beat up or was there enough snow. I want to go up for a week after xmas. But dont want to destroy my new sled. thanks

I cant promise that.. we did see a lot of exposed rocks, you just have to avoid them... but if more snow flies it will just improve even more.

Did you encounter any major wet spots?? I know that far up its normally good, but by Bergland area it takes a bunch of snow to fill in the swamp areas. I don't mind banging up stock ski's and carbides, but hate mud jumping.

stopdropanroll said:
MrSled said:
Mad Russian said:
Were the sleds getting beat up or was there enough snow. I want to go up for a week after xmas. But dont want to destroy my new sled. thanks

I cant promise that.. we did see a lot of exposed rocks, you just have to avoid them... but if more snow flies it will just improve even more.

Did you encounter any major wet spots?? I know that far up its normally good, but by Bergland area it takes a bunch of snow to fill in the swamp areas. I don't mind banging up stock ski's and carbides, but hate mud jumping.

No major wet spots... it was very cold up there on Friday ... about 5 deg.

Well ... We know that the conditions are going to be less than ideal. But we are going to trailer up to Wakefield on Friday. The fact is that there is no real snow in the long term forecast. And after the holidays everyone with a sled will be running in the same area. Which means the snow they do have will be gone very quickly due to traffic. So, might as well run on what they have while they still have it.

gade-thrasher said:
Well ... We know that the conditions are going to be less than ideal. But we are going to trailer up to Wakefield on Friday. The fact is that there is no real snow in the long term forecast. And after the holidays everyone with a sled will be running in the same area. Which means the snow they do have will be gone very quickly due to traffic. So, might as well run on what they have while they still have it.

What are the conditions like in Wakefield ?

Nick1945 said:

Don't really know. But judging by the snow depth map on noaa, it looks to have the most snow within a 2hr drive from Wausau, WI.

We are leaning towards Wakefield, but considering a drop in Mercer and head to Hurley. Anyone have advice?

We r going to rabbit ears colorado for the week. My buddy is over there now and he said they r getting lots of snow. Im done waiting for michigun snow. This is the worst winter that i can remember. Did i say winter ?! I thought it was spring !!!! :die :die :die

gade-thrasher said:
Nick1945 said:

Don't really know. But judging by the snow depth map on noaa, it looks to have the most snow within a 2hr drive from Wausau, WI.

We are leaning towards Wakefield, but considering a drop in Mercer and head to Hurley. Anyone have advice?

Its kind of hard for me to get excited about that, seeing how it is 588.14 miles from the house to there one way.....LOL

gade-thrasher said:
Nick1945 said:

Mercer to Hurley on the railroad grade is not in good condition. You can ride it, as it gets better closer to Hurley. (but not much). The lakes are not marked yet as of Thursday 22nd. Our trails have been rolled but not groomed, not enough snow. There have been a few riders that have broken through the ice on the Flambeau Flowage last week. The ice is thicker this week but still dangerous.

Well, we drove up to Mercer this morning. Got there around 9am ... looked bad. So we drove all the way up to Hurley ... not much better. Don't believe the trail reports they post. Most of what I have seen is rating the Hurley area as 'FAIR' ... I would rate them as 'NOT RIDEABLE'. They looked so thin that we didn't even unload the sleds. We turned around and went home. We weren't willing to risk any damage or extrenuous wear on the sleds just for a 50 mile ride.

It is snowing here in Wausau now. Supposed to only make up about an inch. I certainly hope it turns out to be more. But at this point, my outlook on things is getting more pessimistic by the day.

gade-thrasher said:
Well, we drove up to Mercer this morning. Got there around 9am ... looked bad. So we drove all the way up to Hurley ... not much better. Don't believe the trail reports they post. Most of what I have seen is rating the Hurley area as 'FAIR' ... I would rate them as 'NOT RIDEABLE'. They looked so thin that we didn't even unload the sleds. We turned around and went home. We weren't willing to risk any damage or extrenuous wear on the sleds just for a 50 mile ride.

It is snowing here in Wausau now. Supposed to only make up about an inch. I certainly hope it turns out to be more. But at this point, my outlook on things is getting more pessimistic by the day.

Thanks for the update. ;)!

gade-thrasher said:

x2 they seem to be giving out BS reports. :o|

Back