• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How I moved my steering column forward 4 1/2 inches...

Man I sure would hate to ruin my cowling.... of course I would have to find it first. :Rockon:
Nice info on the steering mod. Been trying to think of a way I could do this myself, nice ideas.

Attachments

• snow235.jpg
    snow235.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 215
I was looking back on some pictures I saved from these mods, and found some that had the attachment to the steering gate welded in, instead of the brackets like here. Anyone remember where that came from?

Attachments

• rx1post1.jpg
    rx1post1.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 211
I'm RX1M5 on here. I did that mod. Forum here wouldn't let me have a 2 letter name. My steering hoop and all other parts are ready to pickup at the powder coaters tommorow so I'll be assembling the sled this week. When I'm done I'll post some pics. I bought a cowl on Ebay that I'm going to mod and use as a mold for a new carbon fiber cowl that I'll be building which will have the steering hole gone. Should look good and weigh next to nothing. Lancef3 depending on where you measure the post moves the actual bars ahead by about 6" as far as the center of effort is concerned. When you use a say 2" riser block on the stock set up it actually moves your bars back on the sled not forward where this mod stands the post almost vertical so all rise goes straight up. I looked at the Apex and it doesn't seem a whole lot different then what I did. I guess we'll see soon how it handles.
M5

I finally got out for a first ride with my steering relocated. Carving and boondocking were much easier. Rotating the column forward raises my bars quite a bit (plus my column is 2" higher than stock) making my sled great for riding standing (which we do 90% 0f the time) but sitting they feel too high. I may wait a couple of rides before I decide it I will lower them. I definitely think I will try adding another 2inches to my seat. Only other issue was nosing over in the deep stuff. We had 3 feet of soft snow and my sled always had a tendency to nose over, especially if you let the nose start to go, and then let off on the thottle, god forbid. The higher bars give you more leverage, but also force you to stay more upright, making you almost feel like it is going to launch you. Everytime a good yank brought the sled back over. Climbing was much improved and the balance was great. Sidehilling and carving back uphill was a snap. My tenative evaluation is that moving the colmn forward improves handling, but the added bar height may be too much. Anyone recommend a bar and riser that will be lower than stock bars by an inch or two?

Attachments

• 11-12-05 First Ride of the Season 002 (Large).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 259
I also rode mine with the bars ahead and when sitting I found it abit weird...Standing its the best...I did lower mine 1 inch before I even rode it but will have to get used to it I guess.

thistle said:
I also rode mine with the bars ahead and when sitting I found it abit weird...Standing its the best...I did lower mine 1 inch before I even rode it but will have to get used to it I guess.

freakin puss, quit your whinin and ride the sled. after riding the 900 rmk with the adjustable steering, the relocation kit is 2nd nature. it's an awesome ride. i'm going to pull the bars back about an inch or two with the rox risers, and this setup is going to be killer.

thistle, went to rolling hills today, it was awesome. would say the only downer was i had to ride dads rev, but i'll give skidoo credit, it's a great sled. can't wait to get my rx-1 back though. noob

Feetsbig said:
2.3 springs from Pioneer Performance,way stiffer than stock,not even needing sway bar :Rockon:

feetsbig, how much for the springs?? The 20-30 miles i have on mine so far have felt great with stock springs and sway bar removed. I thought about stiffening it up, but once i get her back from the body shop, i'll put some more test time on them. noob

Rotated bars back an inch or two and went out on two more rides. Much better! Was great standing and sitting. Still think I'll raise my seat another couple of inches. It'll pretty much match the seating position on the Apex Mtn at the local dealer.

Back