• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to negotiate a good deal from a dealership??

If I were you, I'd seriously consider shopping in the States...save yourself a lot of money.

Yamaha Canada are asking way too much for a sled...compare and see.

Hey Grimm...Do you recommend any particular dealer close near the border of NY state. This would be my closest border crossing through Niagara Falls if I was to deal with a US dealer. Also does anyone know if there is a duty to be paid on a new Yamaha sled. I realize that NAFTA would normally allow free trade but these Yamaha's are from Japan so I don't know what the rules on it would be.

Couldn't agree more with the posts above. However, in my area 09 XTX are slim pickings. 3 dealers had like no 09 leftovers, let alone an XTX. One dealer way up north said they might be able to "locate" one for me which would be more money shipping in. And...their price was $500 bucks more than a guy in town who happened to have one left. I feel like I really lucked out after hearing supply was reduced even with the 2010 models. Plunked down a deposit even before the 05 Rage was sold.

In addition, I've heard from nearly every dealer I talked with that Yamaha reduced the amount of sled they could get this year. They all gave me the same story that "last year I got 50-60 sleds, and this year all I could get was 5-10 sleds." Either Yamaha is creating their own supply and demand, or there is a fancy new model coming out in the spring of 2011. I think it's both.

My 2 cents, if you like the dealer and can see bringing your sled in their for service, walk in with cash. Try offering cash for a better price, and simply ask...."can you give me a better price?" What's the worse gonna happen they say no? Then your buying for the asking price or walk right? Cash always seems to get people's attention. Did for me when the guy show up to buy my Rage. :Rockon:

I don't know any dealers south of the border.
But try a search here. I think some dealers are more apt to deal with Canadians than others.

one thing to understand is supply and demand..when supply is up and demand is down it is a buyers market and the techniques described will work...when supply is down like it is now on the xtx's...and demand is up...its a sellers market..and these techniques dont have the same effect..

MUDDER said:
Just remember these people need to make a living too. Most dealers that make a little money off of you will treat you better in the long run than someone that nickels and dimes them to death.

X2 ;)!

MUDDER said:
Just remember these people need to make a living too. Most dealers that make a little money off of you will treat you better in the long run than someone that nickels and dimes them to death.

I second this. You want your local dealer to stick around and chances are you'll be in there trying to get "emergency" parts and what not, and you'll be happy to have them in your corner. Getting in good with your dealer can sure be to your advantage. I use the same dealer for my streetbike, motox, and sled. They've treated me so good over the years that I'm really loyal to them. Every once and a while it pays off as they bend over backwards to help me out.

So much that sometimes even though I know I can get better deal elsewhere I'll pay their price just to support them because they treat me well. Sometimes they really come through for me, like today when they kicked me down a full Timbersled suspension at cost. Awesome.

shop a couple dealers on the model you want, make sure you are comparing the same model. always buy when there are mfg rebates. remember that sled margins are very small - sometimes less than 100 dollars if that much. most of the time the dealer is getting a few points on the back side of the deal. if you can wait for the end of the season, buy it then as the dealer wont want to pay the juice for the whole summer. if you have a trade, usually that will change the deal as the dealer is trading floor plan money for his own cash and that will factor in. if you are buying new and you need accessories and extended warranty, get them at the same time - a dealer will look at what he is making on the package and might sell the sled at zero and make a few hundred on the accessories. if you don't care about buying non-current, sometimes there are extra incentives from the mfg to the dealer for non-current (usually 200-400 bucks). just remember, there is very little margin in a sled usually 2-5 points at the listed price (not mfg suggested retail - no one has ever paid that price). i bought my current phazer rtx at 5999 plus tx and license - there was a mfg rebate plus i added 4 years of yes. the dealer is my friend, and i allow him to make some money when i deal with him - i want him to stay in business it is very convenient for me and he takes care of me when there is an issue. We have bought 5 sleds from him in the last 4 years and have done well on all of them.

I work for a dealer in Canada. My stand point is i will match any other dealers price, if they can make money, then i can make money. Its not all about getting a unit sold, its about customer loyalty, if I treat you good, i know you will come back over and over again. Which is also why i give a 10% discount on all parts and acessories for 1 year after purchase. I have been called on my cell all times of the nigh/day even on holidays to help people with thier problems, its something i like to do and i like to help. Just please remember, if i dont make any money on selling the sled, i cant help you out when you are broken. Margins are very small and it is tough to compete sometimes. On top of it all there is a huge overhead, employees wages, mechanics wages, building rent, utilities..........list goes on.

ekamakazi said:
I work for a dealer in Canada. My stand point is i will match any other dealers price, if they can make money, then i can make money. Its not all about getting a unit sold, its about customer loyalty, if I treat you good, i know you will come back over and over again. Which is also why i give a 10% discount on all parts and acessories for 1 year after purchase. I have been called on my cell all times of the nigh/day even on holidays to help people with thier problems, its something i like to do and i like to help. Just please remember, if i dont make any money on selling the sled, i cant help you out when you are broken. Margins are very small and it is tough to compete sometimes. On top of it all there is a huge overhead, employees wages, mechanics wages, building rent, utilities..........list goes on.

I agree Customer/Dealer loyalty is a great thing to have, but at what point dollarwise would that make a potential customer stray? You mention that you'd match any other Dealer price, however would that include a U.S. Dealer ($ conversion included of course)?

saythey said:
Service service service is the key. Sometimes these things break and who will help you. It is not worth saving a couple hundred bucks. I found out the hard way.
I agree. I was a catman all the way just because of the service. I could call this guy anywhere, anytime. No matter where I was on the island he would accomodate somehow. After he gave up the cat dealership I switched brands.....eventhough there is another cat dealer in the area that I heard bad things about. Service is king. They are all good when there's nothing wrong....its when you get trouble you'll see the advantage of good service.
If you get a resonable price from a dealer that you know to be respectable and loyal to their customers go for it and not for the best deal. ;)! JMO

Oh yeah I love the switch. YAMMY RULES :4STroke: :yam:

good luck on a xtx

Dude good luck on getting a deal on a 09 xtx.
yamaha cut the 2010 orders to ALL dealers to clear out the leftover old inventory they had so they could stop giving out huge rebates. for 3 yrs a dealer by me has been doing buy2 get 1 free if u pay full msrp.

Try powersports1 in wisconsin. thats where i got mine for $8500+$500 shipping to my house. cheepest in the US that i could find. all other dealers who had them on the east coast want $9500. and they know theyre rare so good luck on the deals.
check ebay thats where i found mine new.
was VERY cool to unload my own yamaha crate.

Here on the rock [Newfoundland] Canada I can get an 08 MTX for $9500. Thats excellent for around here.

Tempted to get another.LOL

Back