• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to Shift the Viking Pro

swampdog

After looking through the posts on this site, I would say that one of the most common complaints about the Viking Pro is hard shifting.

What works well for me is to shift with the machine stopped, at idle, and WITHOUT ANY APPLICATION OF EITHER BRAKE. If the parking brake is engaged, it is nearly impossible to shift between High, Reverse, and Low. Applying the hand brake makes it equally hard to shift. While idling and without application of any brake, the machine shifts perfectly and quickly.

Just thought that someone might learn from this. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Turning the idle down helps too. I have mine set so that when the engine is all warmed up, it idles really low which keeps pressure off the belt so the gears do not have much pressure on them.

If your clutches are hooking up at idle you have bigger issues to worry about than shifting. If there's a load on my transmission the shifting is difficult. If I release the load shifting is easy. It isn't rpm related on my sled.

I agree that if the drive clutch is not clean then it could be grabbing regardless of the idle rpm. I use a scotch brite pad and soapy water to clean any residual belt grime from the clutches. I suppose improper (tight) chain tension in the transmission could also cause hard shifting.

Setting the idle is easy. There is a single screw on the throttle linkage bar that ties the 3 carbs together. I just turned it counter clockwise a bit. The only issue with setting the idle low when warmed up is starting. I find that I need to keep the electric starter engaged a little longer than if the idle was set higher. Not a big deal really.

Shifting into reverse is usually smooth but there are occasions where I need to flip the throttle just to get the gears to mesh properly especially on a hill or when holding the brake. Tension on the gears causes difficult shifting.

I find if possible to have machine at a downhill angle ,hold brake, doesn't need much, it will shift perfectly, this works for me,let me know if it works for you.

As mentioned at the top of the post, it shifts so easily to any gear now that I'm not applying either the parking brake or the hand brake while shifting. It could not shift better.

When I went to drive my new VK out of the trailer I had a hell of a time getting into reverse. Thanks to this website and the people on it, I learned that the idle was turned up to high. Back it off to spec. and it shifts like a dream.

Back