• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to tell if rear shock is worn out/damaged?

MikeWalters

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer
Yesterday our riding, it seemed really rough. Came home and my sled was riding so low in the back end the snow flap was dragging on the ground.

lifted the rear up, the suspension extends like it should, put it back down and its over 1/2 way compressed. Could almost bottom it out pushing it with my hands..?

Torsions springs are set on medium.

Thawed it out lastnight, now it is back to normal? Suspension bounces back, no broken mounts or arms.

Just when it was out in the snow it seemed to be sucked down and wouldnt bounce back.

Any ideas?

Mine does the exact same thing as you said. Snow flap is almost dragging.. Only reason why I haven't really thought about it much is my brothers 2008 phazer does the same thing.. His only has 200 miles on it.. while mine is a 2007.

Yeah, I hear you. I definitely have an issue though, as it was "stuck" down. I could bottom it out by hand... thats not right. Thawed it out and it was back to normal. Almost like the shock was frozen or something

rear shock

I've got a 2007 MTX with 2000km on it and mine does the same thing. The cams are maxed out (and shouldn't be) so I thought about replacing either one of two things. The springs or the shock?? It's never frozen up and on trails, jumps etc, it still lands like on a cloud? I read an article that said the swing arm measurement to the upper riser should be about 10-12mm when a fully dressed rider sits on the sled. Mine is absolutely not like this..as there is no play (I'm about 170lbs). I'll be watching this post to see if someone has the right fix for this problem??

There could be moisture in your shock which sticks the seals and can even freeze. If you are thinking about it just get it refreshed. Otherwise it is stiction all over the suspension. Clean and regrease all the shafts and pivots and you will be back to normal if shock isnt contaminated. Only way to check for contaminated shock short of it being froze solid is to take it apart and look at the oil. Its probably time to do that either way.

Thanks guys I think I will get them sent in for service and revalve after talking to ShockTec. Not in so many words they said the rear shocks are a joke in their stock form. Doesn't surprise me at all.

I have never had a rear shock out of this sled, what's the process? Drop the skid out or not?

Thanks.

Back