• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How well does the shorty Nytro go off trail?

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
Nitrousman1 said:
So some say it trenches like a chainsaw and others say it floats in the fluffy powder....who am I supposed to believe??

Bottom line is that every 121 sled is going to trench in lots of powder no matter what brand or track or skidplate or skis, it's inevitable due to it's short track length and how it's weight is distributed. There's a lot more to it than what most people think. How you ride determines a lot too; foot placement, throttle control, riding ability, all these factors come into play no matter which sled we're talking about. If you're not a very aggressive rider with a real good amount of skill and strength for riding in deep powder, you may find yourself being in the not so happy category, but again, that goes for every short track snowmobile.

Have to agree. 121" are trail sleds. If your not running at least 1.5" lug your going to be in for a long day off trail. I got a 121" with 1.25" lug and when I hit the deep POW, I got to give it to her and get aggressive or I'll get stuck for sure. Upgrading over stock tracks will at least give you a fighting chance in the POW!

RR

Nitrousman1 said:
NyTrOMaNIaC said:
Nitrousman1 said:
So some say it trenches like a chainsaw and others say it floats in the fluffy powder....who am I supposed to believe??

Bottom line is that every 121 sled is going to trench in lots of powder no matter what brand or track or skidplate or skis, it's inevitable due to it's short track length and how it's weight is distributed. There's a lot more to it than what most people think. How you ride determines a lot too; foot placement, throttle control, riding ability, all these factors come into play no matter which sled we're talking about. If you're not a very aggressive rider with a real good amount of skill and strength for riding in deep powder, you may find yourself being in the not so happy category, but again, that goes for every short track snowmobile.

Well my current 121" REV 800 with 1.25" Ripsaw on it and Project X skis goes through the fluffy powder awesome, I'm usually the guy that rides around in the off trail stuff and helps the other guys in my group get unstuck. I really have to do something pretty stupid to get myself stuck. With different skis on the Nytro RTX SE will it be even close to as good off trail as my current REV is?

Your Rev with the Ripsaw track wouldn't last a minute in our early season snow conditions. Without at least the 1.5" lug, you're like a beached whale suffering a slow death. Slap a 1.5" lug on the FX Nytro and you're all set, better match for the power and torque anyway.

hahah my short track love loves the deep snow! 2 inch challenger track with a mcx turbo! best ride you will ever own!
it is with out a doubt the sled i have always deamed about

Get yourselves some mountain skis and dont look back. Even my 05 RX1 floats on the snow with a stock 121 track it is the skis that make the difference and speed travelling on new snow as as the weight of the rider. All have to do with the floatation factors.

Another thing that bothers me is where is there storage on the RTX SE? Is there anywhere on the rear I can put a bag? What about more gas? Considering the guys I ride with will be able to go around 150 miles on a tank of gas what are my options for that kind of distance?

Nitrousman1 said:
Another thing that bothers me is where is there storage on the RTX SE? Is there anywhere on the rear I can put a bag? What about more gas? Considering the guys I ride with will be able to go around 150 miles on a tank of gas what are my options for that kind of distance?

Option would be to buy the aftermarket gas tank and take a backpack.

It's not like I carry a lot with me when I ride, usually just 2 bottles of water, some protein bars and some extra gloves and mask. I don't really think I want to carry a backpack but is there a small bag available to go on the rear? I still don't understand why Yamaha went with that stupid small tank just to fudge the weight numbers since now I'm sure it's costing them some sales.

Theres alot more to it than weight the tank is between the exhaust and engine. Now I am sure there are tolerances of saftey they keep in mind to avoid lawsuits and injury. Also keep in mind epa regulations on tanks. they can't make everyone happy!

Just go to http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/acces ... all/1.aspx

There are plenty of options for fuel caddys to tank bags saddle bags. etc

I extended mine to a 136" and took it to the mountains 5-15ft of snow, you had to be careful and on the gas lots but it did do okay. If I could go back in time I would have bought the MTX for sure, we get 2-3ft at home per year

Back