• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hyfax wear and wheel spacer kit

Hookman49

Extreme
I don't have many miles on my 04 RX-1. But been doing some reading and it seems that there could be an issue with the hyfax wearing down quickly.

Pioneer Profmance has a "Hyfax extender wheel spacer kit" that claims to really extend the life of your hyfax.

1st, is wear an issue on our RX's? And 2nd has anyone used one of these kits?

Thanks,

Ken

It depends alot on skid setup and riding conditions whether wear will be a problem or not.

I'm not familiar with the Pioneer setup but I used Polaris wheels to replace the four front wheels on my skid which has worked great. They're 5mm larger diameter and identical to the stock wheels in looks so you can't even tell they've been changed.

Last year I smoked my first set of slides in 500 miles, after the Polaris wheels I have 1500 on one set and they're still good to go for this year, almost no wear. ;)!

Boy's let me tell you a trick!! Go get yourself all new bogie wheels from either Ski-Doo or from a DEnnis Kirk or whomever but make sure they are a 5.375 inch wheel. This will not only save your hyfax but also allow you to run your track looser and gain some nice top end about 5 mph no BS!!! The wheels from the local Ski-Doo guy was 2 for $19.99 without the bearings and your bearings will fit the opening!!! 2003 has the same set of hyfax (blue aftermarket) ones I put on before I ever rode it and they are still cherry. As for the bearings........all good!!! No more maintenance nightmare there :Rockon:

Blue Me's right, put on the 5.35 wheels and kiss the hyfax wear goodbye. I got mine from JR Graham which included the bearings. Just change out the spacers from the old wheels to the new and you're good to go.

Jon

6300 miles between my two RX1's i'm getting between 1500 and 2000 miles per set of slides on stock idlers. Marginal snow conditions is the only time you should experience much wear. I put on 600 miles in Manitoba last year excellent conditions they looked as good when i left as the day i got there.

all yam models rx1/warrior/venture in my area are having hyfax wear problems even after yamaha's so called fix with wheel kits.Track has wear marks from slides where there are not enough metal cleats.(rubber on teflon make more heat than metal on teflon) Time for yamaha to look into problem more closely alot of unhappy YAMAHA customers here! :( #$%&* :ORC :!:

alterhi said:
What size are the stock wheels?
I have a '05 warrior, is it the same set-up as '03 rx1?
The stock wheels are 5.30 got to a 5.350 or better yet a 5.375 from Ski-Crap. The bearings will be 6205's

loosen track till it ratches, then snug it up till it stops ratching. this is if your not running studs. alot of folks are running them too tight. remember loose is fast. ;)!

I ran my track really loose for awhile last year and couldn't figure out where my top-end went. Turned out the track was balloning and hittin the tunnel, slowin me way down.

So don't run too loose.

Hookman49 said:
1st, is wear an issue on our RX's? And 2nd has anyone used one of these kits?

Thanks,

Ken

1st
Yes wear is an issue for a couple of reasons. Of course the riding conditions will affect the life of hyfax also.
2nd
Yes, and the kit works great. With the hyfax saver kit and the small wheel kit you should minimize the wear significantly.

You may want to consider some external drivers which will also help allow you to loosen the track.

Don't loosen the track! It balloons and creates too much aerodynamic drag. Run the track tight and make it as slippery as you can inside by either installing larger bogies or my idea of the anti wear pads. I installed these on my Warrior and was blown away :shock:
The slidders stick to the bare area's (where the windows aren't cut out) of the track. With the anti wear pads installed the sliders never come into contact with any rubber. Remember how well your sneakers grip a gym floor?? Same thing happens when the sliders come in contact with the closed windows.

Back