• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hyfax Wear on Attak

SRSchang

Extreme
Replaced the hifax on my Attak just before I left for St Zenon, Quebec last week. Had 1400 miles on the originals, there were worn about 2/3 of the way thru, decided to change them before the trip with new Yamaha hifax.

Installed the new hifax, tightened the track per the Yamaha manual (1 1/8" gap between the hifax & track with 22lb pull). Seemed tight, but that's what the book said.

Got to St Zenon, temps in the upper 30's, trails hard packed wet snow. Unloaded the sled, started down the trail with my buddy behind me on his 2005 Renegade. Noticed squeaking from the suspension, not sure what it was, everything looked OK. A couple miles down the trail, the sled seemed to be slowing down awful fast when I let off the throttle. Stopped to see what was going on - heard a lot of hissing from water on the suspension - the hifax were melting & the track clips were real hot!

Threw some snow on the suspension to cool things down, hit the throttle, & it wouldn't move - the hifax were melted to the track. I picked the sled up, & my buddy kicked the track loose from the hifax. Loosened the track tension nuts a couple turns & continued on. A couple miles later, same thing. Loosened the track tension nuts a couple more turns, & haeded down the trail. By this time the track was hanging down below ther hifax a couple inches when I lifted it off the ground. Tried to get off into the deep snow on the side of the trail as much as I could.

8 miles from our start point, the hifax were worn more than halfway thru, & we decided to head back to Real Masse, load it on the trailer, & find a dealer. Dealer installed new hifax & adjusted the track, we headed back out onto the trail.

Ended up with ~300 miles on the new hifax by the time we left for home, & the hifax are at the wear line where they widen out.

My guess is I had the track too tight, & the warm weather & hardpacked snow caused the first set to burn up, but I'm not sure why the second set only lasted 300 miles. Any ideas? Maybe the warm temps (the temp light did come on a few times while we were there) and hardpacked snow not providing enough lubrication? My buddy had no problem with the Renegade.

Anybody tried teflon slides like Hiperfax? Not sure what to do - heading back up in a couple weeks, don't want the Attak to have problems again.

Thanks,
Scott

Don't know why the spec calls for so little deflection on Attak. Mine were wearing too fast, so I set much looser than spec(almost an inch of free sag with zero weight). Seems better. The spec for the short track seems more in line with what I'm used to with other sleds. My warrior was also hard on slides. I think the taller lug tracks contribute to the problem. Although sometimes they wear to the line and then stop. Wish I could help you more. studdog Haven't tried teflon or grahite slides have heard mixed reviews. There are lots of posts on SLP wear buttons and other solutions if you search.

I'm changing to Hyperfax soon, already have a full clipped track, no problem after 1200 miles but always had snow on the ground...

RASH

I always run my track as loose as possible.(as long as it does'nt rachet)
Also many guys change the hifaxes too soon.They seem to wear close to the wear line real quick & stay there for many miles.(Especially the replacements.)Also check track clips for smoothness &/or bits of melted hifax.Any rough clip surface will act as a file.

Actually APEXER1, I don't think I'm brain dead, but thanks for the valuable input, I'll ask my wife.

tcona-AGT, my last sled (2005 REV 600 SDI) would wear the hifax close to the wear line, then stay there. Just hate to leave on a 600 mile trip with little reserve hifax left. There was a lot of melted hifax on the clips after I burned up the first set, I think it's gone now but I'll check.

Scott

I have become a "Toe dragger", years ago I had the track clips melt into the hyfax problems on my Yamaha's and since then I just drag a toe when ever there is not loose snow or if I feel the snow looks hard or dry.
You can actually feel the sled roll easier. All this happens long before you "smell" the hyfax getting hot. I also tend to run my tracks looser than the factory specs.
The larger wheels will help, but this is so condition dependent I just drag the toes durring those times of the day. As soon as the sun hits the trail or a few sleds loosen it up it seems to get much better.

I don't think the yamaha engineers or all TYers are 'brain dead' I or we might be ? LOL But thousands of miles with out changing the wheels, do wear to the line quickly then stabilizes.

My two cents
Yamadoo
Yamadoo

I got about 300 miles out of 2 stock sets when I first got my 05. This year I listened to advice from this board and put the 5.35 wheels on along with the Yami black Graphite slides. I heat soaked them and cooled them about 3-4 times on my first trip up and then did 750 miles on them with some good and some REALLY bare conditions. They are wearing perfect and still have well over half left. I also had the track at the same deflection as you but I ended up loosening it to just before ratcheting and I think that helped a lot. But watch it. My track seemed to stretch and I had to tighten it back up a bit. I would say I have about an inch of deflection with no pull on it and it seems to like it.
Change at least your outer wheels to the Poo 5.35's and run the graphite but HEAT SOAK THEM BEFORE YOU RIP DOWN A STRAIGHT AWAY! :Rockon:

Take a look at this thread...
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

SRSchang said:
Actually APEXER1, I don't think I'm brain dead, but thanks for the valuable input, I'll ask my wife.

tcona-AGT, my last sled (2005 REV 600 SDI) would wear the hifax close to the wear line, then stay there. Just hate to leave on a 600 mile trip with little reserve hifax left. There was a lot of melted hifax on the clips after I burned up the first set, I think it's gone now but I'll check.

Scott
Scott try pulling up your limiter straps one hole,this is what woodys yamaha dealer has been doing to all his attaks,and it seems to work,now it might put some undoo extra pressure on your skis as far as turning goes,but loosen your front springs a little,as it does not bother mine cause i have fox floats on mine,plus i have the doo precision skis on as well,and love them,oh ya 13mm sway bar from pioneer too,and big boy spring 7.0 spring.

MightyWarrior said:
Install SLP anti wear pads.
Hey mighty how much weight does the slp wear pads add to the overall weight of the track,and how do you like them,and why did you install them,i have heard some talk about them adding some top speed to your sled,do you think it helps top speed??

I've run the low snow extra bogy wheels on all my sleds for years, including my ER, with no sign of wear. Not that many miles yet on the ER, under 300, but look like new, as they should.

A set of 32 anti wear pads and washers should weight approximately 1.7 lbs 32 is needed for the short track, I would open the windows instead and fully clip it.

mnmsnowbeast said:
MightyWarrior said:
Install SLP anti wear pads.
Hey mighty how much weight does the slp wear pads add to the overall weight of the track,and how do you like them,and why did you install them,i have heard some talk about them adding some top speed to your sled,do you think it helps top speed??

32 slp wear pads w/ washers and nuts weigh 1.43 lbs. I just weighed mine on a digital scale.

Back