• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I am throwing in the towel!

After reading all these stupid comments about maintaining there sleds and having to replace parts cause of how they ride it hard! Guess what gentlemen this is not a poor mans sport! If you abuse your machine your going to pay the price! Just think about it...you think yamaha, or any dealer at that, is going to put all these upgrades into there sled that we do, NO! Or we will be paying a fortune for it.
Like any automobile there is going to be wear and tear on it and you will have to replace or maintain!
If you don't like replacing parts or maintaining your sled or upgrading parts, either A) you should go buy a bravo, or B) sell it and never buy another sled, cause your you going to have another headache on the next one!
Welcome to the world of hi performance snowmobiling...take it or leave it!!!

I have to agree. Every snowmobile has it's issues and unfortunately these are high maintenance machines. We have little tiny motors (displacement) relatively speaking, making big power and we're driving these things on bumpy, icy, hard packed or snowy trails in -20. In -20 things just break. These are toys at the end of the day and not trasportation vehicles. Yes it would be great if things like ball joints didn't wear out so quickly, a-arms and subframes didn't bend so easily, but it is a business after all. Things are made to break go obsolete so you buy new ones and also so that the company makes money. I realize it's frustrating, I can feel the pain as I've spun a rod bearing in my YZ450 quad after only like 25 hrs and I blew the rod out the block on my 08 Nytro. They're toys and they break.

allot of the parts you are complaning about is normale for any sled. you are complaning about hyfax replacement, really, wow you need to get out of snowmobiling (you do realize you replace them on ANY sled every year). go get that 800 and let us know how many times a year you are rebuilding the motor and every belt you go through every sparkplug you foul every quart of oil you burn. I read that they should nickname the 800r the ticking time bomb by the way. If you are needing to replace the ski's because they break that means YOU HIT SOMETHING it's your fault. oh and dont even get me started on the brake pads too, you gonna sell your car too cause you need to replace them on a car too.

cawcislo said:
I have to agree. Every snowmobile has it's issues and unfortunately these are high maintenance machines. We have little tiny motors (displacement) relatively speaking, making big power and we're driving these things on bumpy, icy, hard packed or snowy trails in -20. In -20 things just break. These are toys at the end of the day and not trasportation vehicles. Yes it would be great if things like ball joints didn't wear out so quickly, a-arms and subframes didn't bend so easily, but it is a business after all. Things are made to break go obsolete so you buy new ones and also so that the company makes money. I realize it's frustrating, I can feel the pain as I've spun a rod bearing in my YZ450 quad after only like 25 hrs and I blew the rod out the block on my 08 Nytro. They're toys and they break.

To further extended on what cawcislo said...we do have 140hP between our legs on a 500+ lb sled and a small frame. That is a lot of torque in a small structure not to mention the stress that you put it through (depending your riding style). If you want a beefed up frame and a-arms replace it and now your in the 700+ frame, But than ppl are going to complain that they cant throw it around...there is always going to be complaints, but that natural! You decide on what you want to ride, a nice style sled that NEEDS maintenance and replacements or a tank!

Just think, if you ride your car or truck like you ride your sled....you wouldn't get a half mile down the trail. The packin we all give these sleds,It's amazing they stay together as long as they do.
I picked up a MTX late last Feb and put 2300 miles on in a month and a half. I have had them all and never had a trouble free season before this one. I had a cat before the MTX and had my share of troubles at the first of the season.....in saying that there was 11000 miles on the sled. It was worn out.
I don't think my Nytro will show It's age at 11000 like the Cat did. It just feels like a more quality built sled.
Even for me with a MTX and a lot of trail riding I only changed the hyfax at the end of the season last year so I wouldn't have to bother with it this year.
Not to mention 4 STROKE can't be beat.

JMHO

I have an 05' rev and have had a lot of problems also.... The diffference between your problems and mine are that I am always replacing motors or trying to get them to run right... A lot easier to work on the frame or suspension rather than replace a motor IMO...

Like was said previously in this post, every brand has its down falls.

Josh

I come from riding Polaris all of my life, raced semi-pro nationals on polaris, and have owned new trail sleds every year since the middle 90's. So snowmobiling is not new to me, I've been in the race scene and snowmobiling industry all my life, I know what it takes to maintain snowmobiles at both the race level and the trail level. So any of you that are throwing the HOW I MAINTAIN my equipment to the reason for failures is not it.

Is it the way I ride, sure you bet, I ride this thing about as hard as I can most of the time I ride, but this is not any different then any other sled that I have rode, and yes I understand that the Sunday trail crusier is not going to encounter the problems I have. I have put over 4000 miles in one season and never left IOWA on a POLARIS 800 XR, beat the living crap oout of it, hit our freestyle ramp, raced it and ya know how many problems I had with that sled, 3 a broken spring clip on a front shock, a temp sending unit, and a rear shock bolt came out, thats it.

Being that this is my first YAMAHA (except when we were kids we had a ENTICER 340 that I am pretty sure took a bigger beating than my NYTRO and never once failed, I don't think you could kill that sled) anyway I had high expectations out of this sled. That is why I went with a 4 stroke machine, and a YAMAHA, fot their great fit and finish, knowing that I wouldn't be buying a new machine for a few years.

I guess through all of this ranting, I have kind of answered some of my own questions and complaints. For the type of riding I do, I shouldn't own a heavy 4-stroke sled, no if and or buts, you can't take a HARLEY to a motocross track, so why am I expecting a YAMAHA to be a snocrosser. Or I need to trade yearly again, so when parts fatigue after the sled is a year old it will be somebody elses problem.

SO THIS IS ALL CLEAR, I want everybody to know that I have really enjoyed this sled (before this year) it has been so much fun beating up on some of my buddies with a heavy 4-stroke. And the time I raced it in a local snocross event and beat up on the guys riding factory snocross sleds. So yes this sled has great things about it too, it just that for my riding I need to get back to something lighter that wont take so much abuse from the constant pounding. The first year this machine was great, but I think that with age, metal fatigues and problems start occuring allot. So I hope that we are all friends and I haven't offended anyone to much.

Anyway I just finished welding up my exhaust, it was broke in the 3-1 area, so I cut out that small part of the pipe, right after the part where all three pipes come together and put in a complete 2" piece, so I probably gained 10 horse!!! Then I welded up the broken bellows (hopefully it holds) becuase it is snowing and I am going to do some pounding!

Thanks again for all of the replies, and if anyone is in the North central Iowa area, feel free to look me up to go riding. We have a really good riding area and I have a nice shop right off a main trail.

Dustin

Snoxracer242 said:
I come from riding Polaris all of my life, raced semi-pro nationals on polaris, and have owned new trail sleds every year since the middle 90's. So snowmobiling is not new to me, I've been in the race scene and snowmobiling industry all my life, I know what it takes to maintain snowmobiles at both the race level and the trail level. So any of you that are throwing the HOW I MAINTAIN my equipment to the reason for failures is not it.

Is it the way I ride, sure you bet, I ride this thing about as hard as I can most of the time I ride, but this is not any different then any other sled that I have rode, and yes I understand that the Sunday trail crusier is not going to encounter the problems I have. I have put over 4000 miles in one season and never left IOWA on a POLARIS 800 XR, beat the living crap oout of it, hit our freestyle ramp, raced it and ya know how many problems I had with that sled, 3 a broken spring clip on a front shock, a temp sending unit, and a rear shock bolt came out, thats it.

Being that this is my first YAMAHA (except when we were kids we had a ENTICER 340 that I am pretty sure took a bigger beating than my NYTRO and never once failed, I don't think you could kill that sled) anyway I had high expectations out of this sled. That is why I went with a 4 stroke machine, and a YAMAHA, fot their great fit and finish, knowing that I wouldn't be buying a new machine for a few years.

I guess through all of this ranting, I have kind of answered some of my own questions and complaints. For the type of riding I do, I shouldn't own a heavy 4-stroke sled, no if and or buts, you can't take a HARLEY to a motocross track, so why am I expecting a YAMAHA to be a snocrosser. Or I need to trade yearly again, so when parts fatigue after the sled is a year old it will be somebody elses problem.

SO THIS IS ALL CLEAR, I want everybody to know that I have really enjoyed this sled (before this year) it has been so much fun beating up on some of my buddies with a heavy 4-stroke. And the time I raced it in a local snocross event and beat up on the guys riding factory snocross sleds. So yes this sled has great things about it too, it just that for my riding I need to get back to something lighter that wont take so much abuse from the constant pounding. The first year this machine was great, but I think that with age, metal fatigues and problems start occuring allot. So I hope that we are all friends and I haven't offended anyone to much.

Anyway I just finished welding up my exhaust, it was broke in the 3-1 area, so I cut out that small part of the pipe, right after the part where all three pipes come together and put in a complete 2" piece, so I probably gained 10 horse!!! Then I welded up the broken bellows (hopefully it holds) becuase it is snowing and I am going to do some pounding!

Thanks again for all of the replies, and if anyone is in the North central Iowa area, feel free to look me up to go riding. We have a really good riding area and I have a nice shop right off a main trail.

Dustin

Well, at least your honest!!!! ;)!

arteeex said:
You could solve all these problems if you just built your own sled. Can't be that hard.

A little welding. A little machining. A few pop rivets and shazzam! You've got yourself a new indestructible sled.

An FX Terminator 3000.

LMFAO :jump:

Snoxracer242 said:

So I hope that we are all friends and I haven't offended anyone to much.

Dustin

I dont think anyone here is offended by your comments...understandable rage when something that you paid so much money for doesn't seem to work to your standards or take the abuse that you throw at it! (I would be pissed too! But I also deserve it for riding it hard!) But at least you admitted yourself that you ride it hard, and that could be the biggest factor to your problems.
I never came on here to rant about your post in general, it just seems that ALOT of ppl try and lay blame on the sled it self (when 25% could be), but it is usually the biggest part the rider!
;)!

Snoxracer242 said:
Man I give up, everytime I turn around this Nytro is giving me fits. Nice way of saying this f#$&ing thing keeps falling a part. I guess after 2 years on a this sled its time for me to get rid of the Nytro. It just keeps breaking down and has become a unreliable sled for me.

And yes I know that I ride this sled harder than most and abuse it in the rough stuff, but isn't that what this sled was designed for? I know now that I can not own a Yamaha for more than 2 riding seasons, or things will fall apart.

Just to night it was starting to bog a little, so I thought I go out in the field and do some runs, change belts and see whats going on. Well after a few passes the exhaust started getting louder, so I pulled it into the shop to inspect. Removed the seat, tank and found the exhaust broken where a three pipes come together and then one of the bellows is broken all the way around by the head. So once again I am back to wrenching on the Yamahamer.

So is Yamaha coming out with a lighter, faster, 2011 Nytro? Or am I going to have to try out that 800 E-TEC?

This will be my 38th season on a snowmobile. Years ago when my father was still crazy enough to supply me with them I destroyed them all. 4 to five sleds a season (no BS). Everything from poo-doo, artic crap, Poolaris, Johnson, evinrude, mercury, yamaha and many I can't even recall. I was literally a madman on a snowmobile! Sometimes I got 2 weeks, sometimes 2 hours out of a machine but they all ended up toast.
Since I started buying and repairing my own I realized It was necessary to stay within the limitations of the machine utill I win the lotto anyway. I also realized, for me, it would be necessary to buy the toughest most reliable machine on the market. So for the past 25 years I've stuck with yamaha. Still, I could go out and destroy it in a matter of hours but what's the point?
Clint Eastwood once said (mans gotta know his limitations) :die

Just got back from a little fresh powder ditch banging, heck now with the header that I fabricated I think this thing run the best it ever has, now that it doesn't have the bottle neck in the exhaust header anymore. Well hopefully I'll be on my way for a little while more, this thing has just got to make it thru the season and then I be updating for next season. But I think that I will be trading every 2 years instead of 3!

stuckless316 said:
After reading all these stupid comments about maintaining there sleds and having to replace parts cause of how they ride it hard! Guess what gentlemen this is not a poor mans sport! If you abuse your machine your going to pay the price! Just think about it...you think yamaha, or any dealer at that, is going to put all these upgrades into there sled that we do, NO! Or we will be paying a fortune for it.
Like any automobile there is going to be wear and tear on it and you will have to replace or maintain!
If you don't like replacing parts or maintaining your sled or upgrading parts, either A) you should go buy a bravo, or B) sell it and never buy another sled, cause your you going to have another headache on the next one!
Welcome to the world of hi performance snowmobiling...take it or leave it!!!

Maintaining a sled out of the crate with thousands of dollars of mods to make it driveable newf... :o|

Maintaining a sled out of the crate with thousands of dollars of mods to make it driveable newf... :o|[/quote]

If you have to spend thousands of dollars to make it drivable...good luck finding one to your standards of no money to spend so it is drivable!!
Better option for you is not to buy one at all..save your thousands of dollars!!

Haha. The funny part is I'll keep fixin and rippin...There are no other options than Yamaha...At least there are piles of fixes on here for all the issues I need to rectify. :yam:

Back