• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I am throwing in the towel!

Snoxracer242 said:
Spindle
Outer tie rods
Ball Joints X 2
A-arm bushings
Sub-frame
Radiator Brackets
Brake pads
driveshaft bolt broken
Driveshaft bearing
track------ due to ratcheting
drivers---- due to ratcheting
exhaust doughnuts
exhaust bellows
exhaust header
Chain that drives the oil pump

I am not trying to piss you off, but if you are riding as hard as you say, you should really break some of the components in your list and you should basically have all of them (possibly with the exception of the oil pump chain) on a regular maintenance schedule. Otherwise they will break...! A snocross sled does not stay in one piece just because it is a snocross sled. A snocross sled stays in one piece because of the very frequent maintenance and repair...!
And please also understand that the FX Nytro is not a snocross sled. For instance, it does not have the necessary chassis reinforcements to even make one day at the snocross track. Simply, it is nothing but a slightly overweight trails sled.
If your user name is snoxracer you should really look into the proper AC, Poo or Doo snocross replicas. They will offer much more of what you are looking for. But they will also require maintenance and they will also break down if you do not maintain them.
I am sorry if this comes out strong. I am not pointing you out, but I kind of had enough of people (on this forum as well as around my place) that think they can ride it like they stole it, never maintain anything and then get surprised when it breaks down...

Alatalo said:
Snoxracer242 said:
Spindle
Outer tie rods
Ball Joints X 2
A-arm bushings
Sub-frame
Radiator Brackets
Brake pads
driveshaft bolt broken
Driveshaft bearing
track------ due to ratcheting
drivers---- due to ratcheting
exhaust doughnuts
exhaust bellows
exhaust header
Chain that drives the oil pump

I am not trying to piss you off, but if you are riding as hard as you say, you should really break some of the components in your list and you should basically have all of them (possibly with the exception of the oil pump chain) on a regular maintenance schedule. Otherwise they will break...! A snocross sled does not stay in one piece just because it is a snocross sled. A snocross sled stays in one piece because of the very frequent maintenance and repair...!
And please also understand that the FX Nytro is not a snocross sled. For instance, it does not have the necessary chassis reinforcements to even make one day at the snocross track. Simply, it is nothing but a slightly overweight trails sled.
If your user name is snoxracer you should really look into the proper AC, Poo or Doo snocross replicas. They will offer much more of what you are looking for. But they will also require maintenance and they will also break down if you do not maintain them.
I am sorry if this comes out strong. I am not pointing you out, but I kind of had enough of people (on this forum as well as around my place) that think they can ride it like they stole it, never maintain anything and then get surprised when it breaks down...

Did I miss something?

Snoxracer242 said:
I come from riding Polaris all of my life, raced semi-pro nationals on polaris, and have owned new trail sleds every year since the middle 90's. So snowmobiling is not new to me, I've been in the race scene and snowmobiling industry all my life, I know what it takes to maintain snowmobiles at both the race level and the trail level. So any of you that are throwing the HOW I MAINTAIN my equipment to the reason for failures is not it.

Is it the way I ride, sure you bet, I ride this thing about as hard as I can most of the time I ride, but this is not any different then any other sled that I have rode, and yes I understand that the Sunday trail crusier is not going to encounter the problems I have. I have put over 4000 miles in one season and never left IOWA on a POLARIS 800 XR, beat the living crap oout of it, hit our freestyle ramp, raced it and ya know how many problems I had with that sled, 3 a broken spring clip on a front shock, a temp sending unit, and a rear shock bolt came out, thats it.

Being that this is my first YAMAHA (except when we were kids we had a ENTICER 340 that I am pretty sure took a bigger beating than my NYTRO and never once failed, I don't think you could kill that sled) anyway I had high expectations out of this sled. That is why I went with a 4 stroke machine, and a YAMAHA, fot their great fit and finish, knowing that I wouldn't be buying a new machine for a few years.

I guess through all of this ranting, I have kind of answered some of my own questions and complaints. For the type of riding I do, I shouldn't own a heavy 4-stroke sled, no if and or buts, you can't take a HARLEY to a motocross track, so why am I expecting a YAMAHA to be a snocrosser. Or I need to trade yearly again, so when parts fatigue after the sled is a year old it will be somebody elses problem.

SO THIS IS ALL CLEAR, I want everybody to know that I have really enjoyed this sled (before this year) it has been so much fun beating up on some of my buddies with a heavy 4-stroke. And the time I raced it in a local snocross event and beat up on the guys riding factory snocross sleds. So yes this sled has great things about it too, it just that for my riding I need to get back to something lighter that wont take so much abuse from the constant pounding. The first year this machine was great, but I think that with age, metal fatigues and problems start occuring allot. So I hope that we are all friends and I haven't offended anyone to much.

Anyway I just finished welding up my exhaust, it was broke in the 3-1 area, so I cut out that small part of the pipe, right after the part where all three pipes come together and put in a complete 2" piece, so I probably gained 10 horse!!! Then I welded up the broken bellows (hopefully it holds) becuase it is snowing and I am going to do some pounding!

Thanks again for all of the replies, and if anyone is in the North central Iowa area, feel free to look me up to go riding. We have a really good riding area and I have a nice shop right off a main trail.

Dustin

Wow in one thats how i feel. I believe i will get that new rush

Like my Buddy told a Cat guy last Saturday in a bar havin lunch "I'd rather fix broken stuff any day than change engines" Cat Guy was not happy....We all belly laughed.

All sleds break from time to time, but my son beats the crap out of his 08 FX, ditch banging, table-tops in the back-field motocross track, and drives over aggressive on the trails. Suprisingly the sled is still holding up, although he only weighs 125lbs, maybe that is a big difference? Never a problem with the motor, only the suspension and spindles. We maintain what all have recommended and annually replace the oil and hyfax when removing the skid for inspection, replacing any worn parts and repaint. So far, so good. Sled feels like a feather when I ride it after running my Apex in the woods!
:yam:

I'm glad you live in Iowa...we have enough losers running around our trails like it's a snow cross track without any regard for oncoming sleds.
you get what your deserve...you beat the crap out of it and it cost you money to fix it...it's very simple you would think someone with all that racing experience would know that?
Oh yeah why did you switch from Poo anyway?

RobWarrior said:
I'm glad you live in Iowa...we have enough losers running around our trails like it's a snow cross track without any regard for oncoming sleds.
you get what your deserve...you beat the crap out of it and it cost you money to fix it...it's very simple you would think someone with all that racing experience would know that?
Oh yeah why did you switch from Poo anyway?

Who do you think you are?

Before you spout off at the mouth claiming that I ride with no regard to oncoming riders on the trail you better think again jack. I have more respect than you can even imagine for on coming riders, I happen to have a friend that was seriously injured, shattered his left hand he now has no use of his pinky and ring finger, because of a jack riding on the wrong side of a curve in northern WI. So think again before you post, if you have no idea what you are claiming than keep you a$$9 comments to yourself.

You have no idea where I even ride, do you really think that there is a lot of trails in IOWA? Its called ditch banging! Most of my riding isn't even on a trail system, its usually some of my racing buddies in our fields running fence lines etc. Really why am I even wasting my breath defending my riding, your just jealous because you can't ride. (Oh wait I didn't say that because I don't know!)

Why did I switch from POLARIS, i wanted to say something else here but I am tring to be nice, to see if their is something better out there.

Thanks,

Dustin

I feel your pain man. I've been riding and racing for over 30 yrs. I've owned cats and polaris all my life. When 4 strokes came, I thought my troubles were over. Have an 08 nytro, very disappointed in many aspects of this sled. This year I've done ton of work and spend 2 grand to upgrade sled. Much better ,but can't seem to keep hyfax (2 setsin 300miles)any ideas? Just some of what I've done- Tracks USA 136 kit/Wahl bros drvers/ anti stab wheel kit/ new ball joints/ Machined tie rod ends/ski-doo pilot skis/new chaincase bearings and seals, found broken drive shaft bolt when upgrading drivers.

Sorry about your buddy...I have a buddy that was lucky enough to be the first one on the scene of a fatal wreck...his bud went for help and he had to give CPR to a purple corpse...the guy still has nightmares...I have no respect for those who "ride it like I stole it" I have been riding for a long time as well...never raced but been around long enough to know if your breaking your machine then you're pushing the limits of the trail and safety.
I don't need your permission to voice my opinion on this board...I'm glad you don't ride where I do. For the record I ride safe and enjoy long midweek trips when all the racing A-hole Blair Morgan wannabe riders are at work. Sure you want to be Blair?

Back