• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I need help with an oil problem

Dana-
I was told the same thing last year when I picked up a filter and oil for my first oil change after break in. Only fill it half way. That could be the source of your problem if you went all the way to the full line. If you're riding the the low oil light comes on every 2-300 miles, then that's another story.

Hope you have a good summer.

I was also told not to tighten down the dipstick at all when checking the oil level, just stick it in and pull it out. If it's not burning oil legitimately it should stop when you reach the normal level ;)!

Hi again boston,i forgot to tell ya what we did to stop most of mine,after i took the ari box mod out and reinstalled all the stock air box parts,i went to a napa store and went thru there pcv valve boxs till i found one that fit inside the 3/4 line that attaches to out side of air box,the hose that freddie had us stick the little air breather on top of,now when you have it shoved down into the hose and it may be a tight fit,plug it back onto the air box,and forget about it and ride,it helped mine out alot now that i remembered i did this... LaLaLa ;)!

Dana, my thoughts or suggestions! How much is it actually using? As far as the dipstick goes, that shouldn't matter one bit, the oil tank is just that a tank, the oil just circulates, the more oil, the longer and cleaner it will last, right? I really don't even check.

You have been honest, you have given the dealer and yamaha a chance, TRADE IT.

Indy said:
Dana, my thoughts or suggestions! How much is it actually using? As far as the dipstick goes, that shouldn't matter one bit, the oil tank is just that a tank, the oil just circulates, the more oil, the longer and cleaner it will last, right? I really don't even check.

The reason i brought up the dipstick is because if it is true that it burns/leaks oil into the air box when over filled many of us may be over filling to start with creating a little more smoke than normal till it gets down to the correct level. If it doesn't matter how much oil is in there why bother with a dip stick just look in there and make sure it's filled to the top :?

FYI, on my 05 I fill it right up to the full line (dipstick not screwed in, just resting on the threads). From the factory it came filled to the full line too.

The oil level pretty much sits at that full line for 1000's of kms (as long as my crankcase vent doesn't freeze up). After 3200 kms since my last oil change I found the oil had dropped a little into the cross hatch zone. It took 250 ml to bring it right to the line again.

I don't see any problem filling the oil to the full line.

The only quirk I have found is I have to drive (not just idle) my sled for about 15 minutes first in order to get an accurate level reading. If I don't run it long enough the level reads a little lower.

BTW, when my crankcase vent used to freeze up (before I built a heater for it) on very cold days it would sometimes go through as much as 1/2 a liter in 500 kms (300 miles). Oil would also leak from the valve cover into the spark plug wells and weep past the PTO seal.

i'm now using oil on mine and it's a 04 and under warranty

i have use 1 liter for 680 km. I'm waiting for dealer new about my sled.

I have tried to fill up to mid level, but light come on too fast. Sled has use no oil for 5500 km, bu this season, thing was different. i have now 8500 km and a oil usage problem.

Convert said:
Indy said:

The reason i brought up the dipstick is because if it is true that it burns/leaks oil into the air box when over filled many of us may be over filling to start with creating a little more smoke than normal till it gets down to the correct level. If it doesn't matter how much oil is in there why bother with a dip stick just look in there and make sure it's filled to the top :?

I agree if the oil level does not matter Yamaha would have used a sight glass for the oil level is you can see it your good to go. You are not supposed to screw the dipstick back in when checking oil. Read the manual.

Back