• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I think revalving the gt shock is not the right way!!

nobody

This sled was set up for groomed to slightly ruff trails,change the spring is ok ,But change the valve stack and there will be midstroke harshness!!Changing the oil will bring the damping back there's not very much oil in the rear shock to start with! The front shocks also just change the oil, And make SURE the service person knows what the charge should be for the ec ohlin also, that is imparitive!!!!

Re-valving is the way to go. I got mine done for $50, way cheaper and better then a larger spring. According to Bob at Shock Therapy the Shock spring is primarily for ride height. If you go stiffer you increase the rebound. I had him revalve mine so the shock starts slowing 3/4 of the say through the travel, up until that it rides the same. I was only bottoming on really big bumps at high speed but still annoying. I value his opinion due to the fact he has been rebuilding shocks for 15 years, he does motox and snowx sleds as well, the guy knows his $hit.

nobody said:
This sled was set up for groomed to slightly ruff trails,change the spring is ok ,But change the valve stack and there will be midstroke harshness!!Changing the oil will bring the damping back there's not very much oil in the rear shock to start with! The front shocks also just change the oil, And make SURE the service person knows what the charge should be for the ec ohlin also, that is imparitive!!!!

it sounds like you got an average shock guy, not a great one. if they really know what there doing then you would be happy! and the spring is a band aid for a lot of riders.

n2oiroc said:
nobody said:

it sounds like you got an average shock guy, not a great one. if they really know what there doing then you would be happy! and the spring is a band aid for a lot of riders.
I agree, the spring is not really the issue, the valving for the GT is just way too soft and it needs to be re-valved.

revalve

The damping is change with the ec button but if you revalve, let me know what you think this coming winter I know some in house guy's That warned me about revaving,Hope it works well for you.

Re: revalve

nobody said:
The damping is change with the ec button but if you revalve, let me know what you think this coming winter I know some in house guy's That warned me about revaving,Hope it works well for you.
The EC button is what changes the compression and the dial on the shock itself changes the rebound. What was the warning about re-valving the EC? What are the consequences to a re-valve?

The EC button on the GT and the Dial in the ER and Attat make the same adjustment.....Rebound. According to Bob from Shock Therapy the main purpose of the spring if for ride height and if someone says that the dial is for anything other then rebound they are very mistaken. He says a stiffer spring will slow the travel but add to the rebound causing a bucking ride. It is just a band aid for the problem. If you want to properly adjust for bottoming you need to change the valving to slow the shock at the end of its travel. This info comes from a 15 year shock rebuilder who does custom work for bikes and sleds. If you have any doubts call him and he will supply you with valuable info. http://www.shocktherapyracing.com/ 989-743-5716

My concern about revalving is this..

Will increasing the valving for compression cause the show to blow out more often?

welterracer said:
My concern about revalving is this..

Will increasing the valving for compression cause the show to blow out more often?
NO..... Bad oil and junk seals will cause a shock to blow out.

Probably, I'm not sure but most oem shocks are filled with their own brand of oil, which is usually not that great or they don't even have enough oil in them for that matter. I know on my old doo's, the oil was white in one season and I would replace with Honda oil or BelRay and re-charge and then I was good for atleast 2-3 seasons after that.

Re: revalve

nobody said:
cypress ,ca that's were yamaha hq's is.
had 2 gt's revalved and resprung and this is now the best riding sled i have had. even better than my ohlins equipped m10.
the button on the ec shock controls compression dampening and the knob on the shock is rebound dampening.

Revavle

I was just tring to give a heads up to revalving the gt shock from my inside sourse. sorry for the post I wasn't tring to take any money from the shock guy's.

Re: Revavle

nobody said:
I was just tring to give a heads up to revalving the gt shock from my inside sourse. sorry for the post I wasn't tring to take any money from the shock guy's.
Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind, when I get them re-charged.

Back