• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Build Up........and the results are in!!

mac013

Veteran
I was sledding this week riding some really nice rail lines. I put in about 300kms without hitting so much as a tiny bump. When I got back home I noticed that I had quite the ice build up in my tunnel at the back against the snow flap. I kicked at it and broke a bunch off. I put the sled into a heated garage then used a salamander to direct heat at the tunnel. Well the ice block finally fell off in one piece after some melting. I put the block of ice on a scale......................................28LBS!!!!!!! Not to mention all of the ice I broke off and the melting. I must of had approx 30 LBS of ice under my tunnel. Question, how can we possibly set the suspensions up to perform with this problem. I've seen on here that guys are using block off plates to correct the issue but the next post will say not to use them because the seat will melt. WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER WITH YAMAHA TO FIGURE OUT A SOLUTION. 30 LBS OF ICE BUILD UP IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

poleclimber said:
taking out the tunnel protectors helps but its not the answer either...still a lot of build up

There is no answer with the current design, you melt snow or you melt your #*$&@ both are shat.

You guys are right. I am looking at fabricating something possibly using a thin sheet of aluminum. I am going to mount it from the snow flap mounts towards the front above the tunnel protectors. Hopefully this creates a smooth surface that won't allow the snow and ice to build up. Currently it looks as though the ice begins to stick into all of the nooks and crannies. Then the ice can freeze to itself causing this big mess. Yamaha should really come up with something for us though!!

mac013 said:
You guys are right. I am looking at fabricating something possibly using a thin sheet of aluminum. I am going to mount it from the snow flap mounts towards the front above the tunnel protectors. Hopefully this creates a smooth surface that won't allow the snow and ice to build up. Currently it looks as though the ice begins to stick into all of the nooks and crannies. Then the ice can freeze to itself causing this big mess. Yamaha should really come up with something for us though!!
this is exactly what it does!!!

I had the same problem and put a piece of aluminum over the top of the tunnel protectors and it helped a lot. It still builds up but no where near as bad. Try it and see if it works for you.

I made my own encloser. I only have 500 miles on with my encloser and knock on wood I havn't had any issues with any melting or even a hot seat. And my tunnel is way cleaner than it ever was. :Rockon:

My undertunnel exhaust is soon ready to be tested. Will post pics when its tested!

I'm wondering if coating the tunnel with spray on bed liner would help. It might be enough insulation from the aluminum to help the snow and ice from sticking to it. Might be worth a try.

There use to be spray at canadian tire for snowblower chutes, that would decrease snow build-up, but cant find it now. I was thinking of using furniture polish spray this weekend, let you know the results!!

The under tunnel will not cure the issue, the ice repelent spray helps, but to cure this problem your going to have to shell out 500 for the MPI radiator delete and install a full heat exchager. Tried allot of things and I still have 20-30 pounds of ice, actually its down to 10-20 with the DuPont ice repellent.

stopdropanroll said:
The under tunnel will not cure the issue, the ice repelent spray helps, but to cure this problem your going to have to shell out 500 for the MPI radiator delete and install a full heat exchager. Tried allot of things and I still have 20-30 pounds of ice, actually its down to 10-20 with the DuPont ice repellent.

So that DuPont ice repellent actually works? I kinda thought that was gimickie. 10 Pounds of ice would be better than 30 until I find another solution.

Back