• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice-Ripper track - More hype than bite!

rock

Pro
I purchased the Ice-Ripper track to put on my Apex GT. Although they do provide some extra braking and traction it is a far cry from a conventionally "studded" track, even if the track only has 96 studs. I've put on 1800 miles in a variety of conditions and have not been that impressed with the track's performance.

Ripper.........

I just put one on my sled this weekend. Based on what I read, the braking and icy corners are near identical to a conventionally studded track. Hole shot on ice is 80% (per Sno GOer CAnada). However, rotating mass is less, stud pull through will be less, especially in low snow conditions when that 1.4" stud catches a rock going up hill under load. I asked if you could stud this track like a ripsaw and the answer was "yes". You get the best of both worlds at your discretion.

How is it in icy corners? Braking on hard pack? Thats what I need to know. I don't do much for holeshpot on ice or near ice conditions.

This track was designed to improve braking/traction for the trail rider and was never meant to replace studs for racing traction.

Jim

I now have 2500 miles on Ice ripper. At first ,I questioned level of traction compared to 108 studs. It defintely has less traction. After more riding in different conditions I think its a good fit for my overall use. I believe it performs as advertised by camoplast. I will add one to my next sled. studdog

I have the ripper on my Attak. I also agree that it does what Camoplast claims. I have been happy with it for 2,000 plus miles.

It does not have the same bite as the 196 woodys had, but it never claimed to have. It is SMOOTH and does not strech anymore than a non studed track (can you say that about a conventionaly studed track?)

If you are that unhappy thow some studs up the center. I agree with Stud, I too am happy.

Back