• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Scratchers

I like this, I'm just concerned that if the entire sled bottomed that it may bend the running board where they are mounted. The solid portion does hang down a significant distance.

That was my thought also. I have cable scratchers on both sleds now, mounted on the rails. Eyelets are the only way to go for keeping them stowed.

This seemed to be a good way to install mine, used an aluminum plate behind the rails so didnt have to drill any holes. But look at the idler wheel...

ndzEEK3.jpg
2p140Oh.jpg

Run cables on your skis with barn of parts breakaway mount or look up rockerdans sled build for another skate mount option. Rail mounts are ok but I would mount an eyebolt to stow them with when not in use so rails don’t get beat up.
Don't mount them to the skis it throws snow all over the front suspension and affects the way it handles just tried it and took them off leaning towards the skid in front of the 2 wheels

Once I put fender washers on them I had no problem with them bending the runner where they mount. The fender washers flattened out the runner once I tightened the bolt. I did this one on the fly before a trip so I just held them up with zip ties, but I'm planning on using some rubber coated pipe clamps next year.

Anyone have any updated comments on best ice scratchers and best mounting location (skis, rails, or running boards)? Any tips/tricks/best practices? Found out the hard way on Sunday morning in the UP why the SW needs ice scratchers, now looking for the best setup. Thanks.

I had them mounted on my skis and they ripped right off going over a rail road bridge. luckily I had the BOP breakaway brackets on so no damage. Everything went into the river below. Soon as I got home I took them off my Apex skis. Have a set on the BOP break away brackets if you want them. I now have them mounted on the rails with an eye bolt behind them for when they are in stow position. Mine are the Duraflex cable style. Couple weeks ago I saw a sled in Maine that had them mounted on the arms up front. I like that idea but didnt see the guy and dont know where he found the brackets that clamped around the arms. I didnt find them on the on a search.

I have found with thousands of miles now that mounted under the running boards works well and no ill effects of rocks and what not kicking up and dingging or chipping the paint anywhere. Just use large thick fender washers

I have yet to use any, but did install the cable type mounted right behind the second idler on a few sleds.
Good feedback from those owners.

I have yet to use any, but did install the cable type mounted right behind the second idler on a few sleds.
Good feedback from those owners.
Same here, I’m still debating witch ones to get if I do get a set.
My doo and poo buddies had engines running hot a lot this year while I was always around 76*c.. maybe being the lead sled helps keep it cool :D..

The new doo’s come with them on the rails. Spring style with holders. Pretty slick setup. I use cables on my skis for a few years now but if I had to do it again, I’d grab the doo ones

I had them mounted on my skis and they ripped right off going over a rail road bridge. luckily I had the BOP breakaway brackets on so no damage. Everything went into the river below. Soon as I got home I took them off my Apex skis. Have a set on the BOP break away brackets if you want them. I now have them mounted on the rails with an eye bolt behind them for when they are in stow position. Mine are the Duraflex cable style. Couple weeks ago I saw a sled in Maine that had them mounted on the arms up front. I like that idea but didnt see the guy and dont know where he found the brackets that clamped around the arms. I didnt find them on the on a search.
Page 168 of royal distributing winter catalogue. They have the a arm mounts.they are in Canada. Www.royaldistributing.com

The new doo’s come with them on the rails. Spring style with holders. Pretty slick setup. I use cables on my skis for a few years now but if I had to do it again, I’d grab the doo ones
Can you back up with them down?

Back