• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Scratchers

I use RT-Pro ice scratchers For the past 3yrs. Work awesome. If I could download a picture of them I would. Just google and they come up. So far no issues in the 3 yrs.

Duraflex. Mount as far forward on skid as possible. Work great! Work so well, often I only needed one down. Can back up anytime you want.

Attachments

• Duraflex scratchers.1.jpg
    Duraflex scratchers.1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 612
Had Duraflex on the skid and once in a while they would get under the track and grab. noticed allot of small rocks and debris would get kicked into the skid. Could see it in the ice build up although never noticed any chip's in the rails. Moved them the the skis and absolutely killed the spindles. they were loaded with chip's and dings after one season. Then decided to mount them under the running boards and there's been no looking back. you we'll have to take a torch to them and straighten out the bend so they are straight down.

Duraflex. Mount as far forward on skid as possible. Work great! Work so well, often I only needed one down. Can back up anytime you want.

Turboflash, you ever notice any of the issues that fatchance mentioned? What are your thoughts on the Trail Blizzer model with the mounting bracket that prevents the scratcher from rotating? https://www.qualipieces.com/en-US/tb03-400/trail-blizzer-ice-scartchers

Also, what are yours and fatchance's thoughts on the Trail Blizzer model that mounts on the front suspension arm? https://www.qualipieces.com/en-US/tb03-500/trail-blizzer All seem like decent options, but I'm sure the devil is in the details for what works and doesn't.

I really like these BRP ones. They mount right up to where the bolts are for your skid. What I like most is you can just reach down to lower them or hang them back up without ever getting off your sled. Makes it easy for a quick stop and go if you need to use them or want to hang them back up. I've been running them the last two seasons and love them. Plus, no dings in the rails which is nice. All my Doo friends run them on theirs. I saw on some forum how easy they are to mount on the Viper/Sidewinder chassis, so I thought I would give them a try. Work awesome...plus you can go in reverse.

Ice-Scratcher.jpg

I really like these BRP ones. They mount right up to where the bolts are for your skid. What I like most is you can just reach down to lower them or hang them back up without ever getting off your sled. Makes it easy for a quick stop and go if you need to use them or want to hang them back up. I've been running them the last two seasons and love them. Plus, no dings in the rails which is nice. All my Doo friends run them on theirs. I saw on some forum how easy they are to mount on the Viper/Sidewinder chassis, so I thought I would give them a try. Work awesome...plus you can go in reverse.

View attachment 154377
Do you use the stock mounting bolt?

Do you use the stock mounting bolt?

No, you have to replace the stock mounting bolt. I purchased 90mm ones in order to be the correct length. The bolt that comes with the ice scratchers are too long, as I believe they were 110mm and would hit the upper idler wheels.

Way too much overthinking here.... One dura-flex mounted far forward on the right or left side of the rail is all you need... A loose zip tie loop is all you need to stow it. No need to drill yet another hole in your rail...

Kinda agree with eightpilot. I’ve had them on my winder since I owned it and honestly the number of times I’ve needed them ain’t many. Like someone above mentioned I mounted mine thru one of the cutouts in the rail with an aluminum plate on each side of the rail and a spacer in the cut out so when I tighten the bolt on the inside of the rail it doesn’t crush the aluminum on the outside plate. In the rail there are also some predrilled holes and a quarter inch eyebolt fit perfectly without drilling. Never had an issue with one contacting track.

I get not overthinking it here, but I was literally stranded 10 miles outside of Seney on Saturday night because soft trails turned to ice so fast, and I wasn't prepared with ice scratchers. Limped sled to nearest road. We literally had to flag down a passing car, I hitched a ride 30 miles to my truck in Newberry, and then went back to pick up the sleds while my dad waited! No gas stations or anything were open because of COVID-19. So, I want to be damn sure I make the right ice scratcher choice!

*Big thanks to the random UP folks who gave me a ride. They wouldn't take any money, but I made them take $100 anyway. Good people in the UP.

View attachment 154377
This is the set up I am going with next season!

Way too much overthinking here.... One dura-flex mounted far forward on the right or left side of the rail is all you need... A loose zip tie loop is all you need to stow it. No need to drill yet another hole in your rail...
I've never thought to just use one.

Back