• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ideas--hitting rev limiter

APM

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder MTX LE 162–sold
2018 Sidewinder LTX LE 137
2015 Viper LTX SE 137
1999 Venture 700 triple--2 UP
2022 Ski Doo Summit Expert 850 Turbo 165 track
Looking to the 4 stroke Gods for ideas.......

2018 Winder LTX LE 137. 8k miles. 1.6 track. Stock clutching. NO TUNE. Stock sled except I do have a GGB trail can. I've run this sled since new with this setup and have zero issues until recently. I hit the rev limiter if I get on the throttle hard. Even if I roll into it I can still hit the limiter. As first, I thought it might be snow conditions....but now I can get this to happen on light powder, packed trail, lake in fresh powder, in a field in powder, etc. It does it in cold conditions (below zero) and it does it in warm conditions (this weekend it was in the 40's). I can barely break into the 90's because of this.....and certainly don't want to line up next to anyone right now LOL.

Here's what I've done to track down the issue so far with no success:

1. Replaced the muffler with a new GGB trail can (thinking the old one was blown out)
2. Replaced stock belt with new stock belt
3. Replaced drive sprocket
4. Adjusted exhaust valves
5. Cleaned clutches
6. Replaced secondary bushings (stock for stock)
7. Replaced secondary and primary springs (stock for stock)
8. Replaced exhaust pipe assembly (there was a crack in it)

NONE of these items made the problem better or worse. Love the sled and never had an issue until now. What am I missing? Appreciate any advice.

PS: I did use the search function but what I found were issues with people who had tunes.

Thank you for a great site!

Forgot to add:

9. Installed new clutch rollers

Do you have the stock exhaust
I didn’t think you were supposed to run an exhaust without a tune
What do the weights look like

My brother inlaw had the same ggb as you do and on cold days he would bounce off the limiter, he changed his clutch weights and still had the same issue, but less of the time. Ive also had a completely stock sidewinder that blew an exhaust gasket and it did the same thing. Whatever is happening, you are probably making more power and hitting the rev limiter, Beyond a leaking exhaust gasket, the only way i know to stop that is to switch to the stickier XS belt that everybody seems to love, add weight to your clutches, or maybe change the spring tension if it looks like you are slipping a belt. I am not very well versed with clutching (but trying to learn the voodoo), i just refer to the experts at Thunder products, and follow thier advise and setups.

Primary is not shifting up fast enough.
Lots of posts (you can do a search on this forum) on how stock Winder primaries bind when trying to shift up. Spider/moveable side distort and bind on upshift.

Looking to the 4 stroke Gods for ideas.......

2018 Winder LTX LE 137. 8k miles. 1.6 track. Stock clutching. NO TUNE. Stock sled except I do have a GGB trail can. I've run this sled since new with this setup and have zero issues until recently. I hit the rev limiter if I get on the throttle hard. Even if I roll into it I can still hit the limiter. As first, I thought it might be snow conditions....but now I can get this to happen on light powder, packed trail, lake in fresh powder, in a field in powder, etc. It does it in cold conditions (below zero) and it does it in warm conditions (this weekend it was in the 40's). I can barely break into the 90's because of this.....and certainly don't want to line up next to anyone right now LOL.

Here's what I've done to track down the issue so far with no success:

1. Replaced the muffler with a new GGB trail can (thinking the old one was blown out)
2. Replaced stock belt with new stock belt
3. Replaced drive sprocket
4. Adjusted exhaust valves
5. Cleaned clutches
6. Replaced secondary bushings (stock for stock)
7. Replaced secondary and primary springs (stock for stock)
8. Replaced exhaust pipe assembly (there was a crack in it)

NONE of these items made the problem better or worse. Love the sled and never had an issue until now. What am I missing? Appreciate any advice.

PS: I did use the search function but what I found were issues with people who had tunes.

Thank you for a great site!
Seems odd worked up until now And now won’t? But are you sure not over boosting , this can happen with a free flowing muffler on stock tune. ecu will protect if sees too much boost and cut power. Would be worse on cold days likely.

My brother inlaw had the same ggb as you do and on cold days he would bounce off the limiter, he changed his clutch weights and still had the same issue, but less of the time. Ive also had a completely stock sidewinder that blew an exhaust gasket and it did the same thing. Whatever is happening, you are probably making more power and hitting the rev limiter, Beyond a leaking exhaust gasket, the only way i know to stop that is to switch to the stickier XS belt that everybody seems to love, add weight to your clutches, or maybe change the spring tension if it looks like you are slipping a belt. I am not very well versed with clutching (but trying to learn the voodoo), i just refer to the experts at Thunder products, and follow thier advise and setups.
The XS 825 belt right?

I would take the can off and drive it. If the problem goes away, then you have found your problem.
Then you can tune or clutch correctly to get the RPM's correct.

Clutch sticking binding, dismantle take spring out by hand move in and out should be smooth without any sticking, it could be this. Give it a try to rule out ,also look at rollers and weights for wear.

Look at the secondary ramp surface also. If it has always had the Yamaha rollers, they're known to wear grooves into the ramp with miles.

Sounds like its hitting the boost cut, not the rev limiter.....

Mufflers that overboost will do this. There's a reason you need a tune with certain mufflers. Hurricane Hindle is one of the only mufflers I know of that dosen't need a tune, and it because of the flange design they use on this Hindle muffler.

Last edited:
It did not show any of these symptoms the first 8000 miles? This is what has me scratching my head. :dunno: Not sure how it can be the exhaust NOW after 8K. Is it possible the weights are not heavy enough now after 8 K miles. I was thinking maybe you had a clutch spring that was sacked out.. But you replaced them.. IMO its the clutching.. Maybe the engine has loosened up and needs MORE clutch weight.

As stated the weights can go to heck where the rollers roll
The helix can groove
The clutch bushings can go
I just mentioned trying stock if he had it but same thought I had if it had worked 8000 miles

Back